Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there any special tools needed to replace head gaskets on the 2.5?

I have 200k on the motor and the coolant is droping like most others but @ 2oo k I got way more miles than most. Also can you tell me the tourqe sequence and specs as well as the valve clearance specs? I concidder myself a good mech. but never cracked a subaru any helpfull advice would be greatly apreciated.

First what type of 2.5 do you have as they are very different motors? If the early type (phase 1) someone just posted exactly what you want a week or two ago and a search should give you what you need.

ok well its a 2000 legasy outback 2.5 did the 2000 model come with otional motors ie: twin cam or single? im not a subee guy we got it new and seviced it myself my brother has a nappa so never been back to the dealer.guess i could buy a manual

It should have come with the single cam engine if it is a 2000. That's a phase 2. If they have a head gasket leak it is usually a small external one that can be cured by Subaru's additive. If it has been overheated all bets are off.

I have a manual at home and if nobady has posted info I can look some of the specs up tongight. I'd still look for the post on the phase 1 as a lot of the procedure would be the same, but a phase 2 job should be easier.

I'd start by removing the engine if it were me and you really need to buy or down load from Endwrench a manual as this is no Toyota.

You are going to want to service a few other items while the engine is out. Every seal will need to be replaced the the oil pump o ring and screws should be checked. There is a seprator plate on the rear of the engine to change and the rear seal needs replacement. If it needs a clutch if manual now is the time.

On the front you will need a timing belt and possibly a water pump and tensioners.

It should have come with the single cam engine if it is a 2000. That's a phase 2. If they have a head gasket leak it is usually a small external one that can be cured by Subaru's additive. If it has been overheated all bets are off.

I have a manual at home and if nobady has posted info I can look some of the specs up tongight. I'd still look for the post on the phase 1 as a lot of the procedure would be the same, but a phase 2 job should be easier.

I'd start by removing the engine if it were me and you really need to buy or down load from Endwrench a manual as this is no Toyota.

You are going to want to service a few other items while the engine is out. Every seal will need to be replaced the the oil pump o ring and screws should be checked. There is a seprator plate on the rear of the engine to change and the rear seal needs replacement. If it needs a clutch if manual now is the time.

On the front you will need a timing belt and possibly a water pump and tensioners.

Ok well sounds like a small project like head gaskets become a complete overhaul if its on the stand rebuild it right :drunk: cheers

Boy these things are cranky. On other motors I've done you just pull one head off the top of the engine and the toughest thing is the exhaust. I used to be able to change two heads on a Ford commercial truck in a bit over an hour but that ain't gonna happen with one of these cars. Air wrenchs don't fit in most places and the manual is not going to tell you that the seals are all done and the oil pump is a problem with seals and the screws backing out. The plastic oil seperator on the rear of the engine can be replaced with an aluminum one and that's the last of that problem.

If it's any consolation my engine had all this stuff 40,000 miles ago and all I do now is change the oil and plugs and wires. It will be good to go after this until the rings go, which seems to take some time.