Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Brake Pad Replacement 01 Forester

Hi All,

I have a VERY limited time frame to replace the front pads in my wife's 2001 Forester L, the one with drum brakes in the back. I've never even had a wheel off it so I don't know squat. Besides pads, what should I get for parts? Does the whole caliper have to come off to do the pads or is it the type where the caliper frame stays attached and all you do is remove the old pads, press the piston back in place and close everything up? How much of a PITA is this job? The pads and rotors were allegedly replaced at about 40K buy the dealer (for more than US700.00!!), I want to do it a little cheaper. Pads only this time around. Car has 83K and the pedal is getting low. Yes, I'll be checking the rears too while I'm at it. I have 3 hours to do the job. I can't find a shop manual for this beast. What model is it closet to, Legacy, Imprezza? Any pad brand recommendations? I like a softer pad to preserve the rotors but whatever is best is OK too.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Low pedal is not related to brake pad wear. The brake fluid needs to be replaced to help that problem. Every 20-30k miles.

I am a big Mintex fan when it comes to pads. Try www.mintex.co.uk and use the catalogue to locate the part number. Mintex may go under a different name Stateside.

The caliper will swing upward and give you access to the pads. Remove the 14mm bolt at the bottom and you'll see what I mean.

• 1 month later...

Hi subiegal,

Email is housechepachet@cox.net. I checked the front pads and they were OK. The rear drums and shoes are pretty beat. Why would my pedal be so low? Fluid level is OK, pads seem to be worm pretty evenly. Can really wornout rears make the pedal go nearly to the floor? The brakes were done at the dealer about 3 yrs ago and the pedal then was high and pretty firm. I'm trying to get it back to feel like that.

Thanks very much.