Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fixed knock in suspension!

Guest 97svx

My recently purchased 93 Wagon had a nasty knock in the suspension when either front wheel got a jolt from a rough road surface. I replaced all the struts but it did not go away. I was getting ready to replace both ball joints, but someone suggested greasing the anti-sway bar bushings where it is attached to the frame. I took off the brackets which hook into the frame on one end, and are bolted on the other. Greased all the surfaces of the rubber bushing, bar, and bracket.

It worked!

Thank you.

Matt

Guest Tolerance02

I guess it was me, I'm glad the problem is solved. It's where the bracket is hooked in the frame that makes the knocking sound.

Urban.

Guest cookie

Shortly after an oil change I started to get a grinding noise in very sharp left hand corners only. It got scary enough the other day so I jacked it up and took a look. First thought was a joint in the front end.

It was only a fastener missing from the shielding that covers the front suspension on the right hand side. It had been progressively sticking out further and fouling the tire. Quick temporary fix was a stovebolt.

Guest Tolerance02

Any grease is ok. You may have to repeat this a few times a year. Putting grease to the rubber bushings may not be a good idea, it's not necessary and I guess the rubber is not resistant to the grease. Just in the corner of the bracket hook will do.

When the bracket is removed you can see the corner of the hook is like 'cleaned' because it's moving in the frame.

Urban.

Guest Biffbradford

My '92 Legacy with 207k miles has the same noise.

Will check it out ... THANKS ! :P

John Wilke

Milwaukee

(Almost got that dern door fiberglassed and ready for paint)

Guest Tolerance02

Greasing the rubber bushings will make it more easy to bring the bracket back in place. I always use penetrating oil for that because it dry out quick so it want harm the rubber.

Guest 97svx

I did notice a sharp clean line across the hook in the bracket. This is probably a wear line. There must be a way to limit the bracket's movement as a long term solution, instead of greasing it periodically.

Any suggestions?

Matt

Guest Tolerance02

Maybe somone dose but i have never find an other solusion than greasing. Cleaning out the bracket with sandstone paper befor greasing seems to hold a little longer. You also can just pry up the bracket so both surfaces come free to putt grease between.

Urban.

Guest Commuter

Could this be the solution to the infamous "front end clunk" of the second generation Legacy's? I don't see many posts about it anymore, but it was a very common topic when I came on this board 2.5 years ago. There are even TSB's on it.

I have a bit of this noise on my 97 OB. The dealer even changed one strut under warranty. It has never been too bad, and my yearly application of Rust Check (rust inhibitant oil spray) seems to help keep things quiet. Perhaps this is why... it's providing lubrication, I just never knew where.

I recently put some rear endlinks on my car from <a href="http://www.hairpinracing.com" target="_new">Hairpin Racing</a> (I'll get around to a post on them sometime... very nice links). They told me that sometimes noise is a result of the swaybar "shifting" (moving sideways) in the bushings. If you see a shiney spot to either side of the bushing, then the entire swaybar is moving laterally instead of just simply rotating. They have some little gadget (rear swaybar collar kit) that clamps onto the bar beside the mounting point to prevent this movement. I don't know if it is suitable for the front swaybar, but I don't see why not. It might be a solution for some. Just a thought.

Commuter

Guest Brus Brother

Hey Commuter, good thought. SOA replaced the power steering hoses under warranty as the fix for the clunk. I can't say if it has eliminated it entirely. I'll pay closer attention and report back as well as pass the info along to SOA if the sound persists. I must say that as with most sensory inputs (noise, smell etc), the longer you are exposed to it the less the brain registers it as other than normal.

Guest theotherskip

there is a tsb for 95-00 legacies for a steering knock when the car is turning and going over a bump such as a driveway apron. they link it to the power system and recommend changing the steering universal joint with dampers (p/n 34160AC030). think this could apply to this car? possibly just your steering u-joint wearing?

I lifted the car yesterday to check the ball joints and noticed that the anti-sway bar bushings may be worn. The bolts going through them seemed to have some play. I think that I will replace them next. The car is 11 years old with 120k miles, so they a likely to be worn.

Matt

formerly 97svx