Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Later motor for '87 GL Wagon?

Steve B

Just bought a '06 Outback to replace the trusty (307,000 miles) '87 Gl Wagon with the dual range tranny. So now my wife and kids have a nice safe car and I have the beater that has been drinking coolant at a rate of about a pint per day. I can get by with it for now, and was planning on doing the long overdue timing belts and now I guess head gaskets/heads. The engine only uses a quart of 15w40 per 1,500 miles so it's basically sound enough. On the other hand, what if I go to a later motor? So here are my questions:

What later engines fit to the dual range trans?

Will I have to exchange the wiring harness? Is that prcatical?

I live in California. What are the emissions testing implications?

Would I be better off with a low miles E81 (stock) motor?

Any input appreciated-

Steve

it depends on what you want to get your self into.

i am in the middle of putting an EJ22 into my 86 EA82 and it is not easy.

you could just fix the one you have and all but i personnally was not happy with the power.

I assume yours is normally aspirated. In that case, any NA EA82 (1985-1994) long block will be a direct bolt-in. If you keep your intake manifold and accesories, you won't need any harness modifications.

If you decide to go with an EJ series motor, the EJ22 up to 96 is a non-interference engine. You will need the complete engine (get all the accessories), wiring harness, ECM, and you will need to buy or fabricate an adaptor plate. If your current engine is not fuel injected, you'll also need a fuel pump. If you go this route, I recommend finding a complete, running donor car, so you can get all the parts and know they work.