Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cooling fan problems

I tried the search function but it didn't really answer my question.

I've got an 84 subie wagon that been parked for about the last month while I've been at school and I started it up today and drove it to the store and it ran fine but while sitting in traffic for a minute or two I noticed the temp getting higher then normal and then I noticed that the fan wasn't coming on. It didn't overheat but it was climbing until I started moving and then it went back to normal.

Whats an easy way to test to see if the fan is good or if its the sensor? I need to drive this beast home to Spokane next week and I don't want it overheating on me. It seems like as long as I don't get stuck in traffic I should be fine. I also don't have hardly any tools over here with me, and I'm not very good with electrical problems so you might have to get pretty basic with me. It has a newer radiator, waterpump and thermostat so I don't think their the problem. Thanks

Not sure if this is the same as my 88 wagon but, disconnect the temp. sensor wire from the Temp-stat, mine is found on the side of the radiator and use a paper clip bend a u and make a jumper between the hot side, this should close the circuit and start the fan when you start the car.

Closing the circuit on that leg is like faking out that the sensor is wanting too cool the radiator down and should start the fan motor.

Or run two wires from your battery and disconnect the power wires too the fan and wire it right too the battery, that ought too get the fan going. If it doesn't run the motor is bad.

Hope this helps...

Not sure if this is the same as my 88 wagon but, disconnect the temp. sensor wire from the Temp-stat, mine is found on the side of the radiator and use a paper clip bend a u and make a jumper between the hot side, this should close the circuit and start the fan when you start the car.

Closing the circuit on that leg is like faking out that the sensor is wanting too cool the radiator down and should start the fan motor.

Or run two wires from your battery and disconnect the power wires too the fan and wire it right too the battery, that ought too get the fan going. If it doesn't run the motor is bad.

Hope this helps...

So you bend the paper clip so it is touching the temp stat and what?

So you bend the paper clip so it is touching the temp stat and what?

To a ground point.

sorry I gave you some bad advice there... (late last night) after looking at my 84 Brat, the newer models like my 88 wagon use double wire, thus I use a paper clip to make a horseshoe bend to complete circuite at connector, yours probably uses a single wire from the Temp-sensor

(? yellow wire) to activate the fan. My guess is as the radiator gets hot the contacts inside the sensor closes and a direct path to ground is establised through the radiator..thus only one wire.

On a single wire I would just touch it too ground. Gently pull wire connector from Temp sensor and stick wire up inside connector and run it to a ground point, (bear metal/under screw) that should close that leg of the circuit and start fan when engine is started.

Hope this isn't more confusing nor wrong...

On my 92 Loyale that was a sighn of a bad thermostat. On highway it got good air flow and cooled itself pretty well.

My electric fan comes on only when I use air conditioner.

Is your main fan also electric? Mine is mechanical. So there is a possibility of a mechanical failure.

Sam