Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bowl Vacuum Valve 84/1800/GL

Would a Sticking or clogged Bowl Vacuum Valve cause the float bowl to pressurize and prevent gas from goin into it?

I drove to work today and decided to take a windy 2 way road. My 84 GL SW started buckin and coughin again, and it had run pretty good all week. After causing a log jam and making 30 people stuck behind me late for work . The GL restarted and drove like a charm for the next 4 miles. So I'm fumming when I walk in the office. A coworker who was stuck behind me, said that sometimes fuel lines collapse and choke off fuel, so after work today ,while I was seeing if the lines were mushy, I discovered this little valve (Bowl Vacuum Valve ) , I popped of the top of it and the sponge filter was like a rotten dead mouse, so I cleaned it out and I blew/ sucked on it and nothing happened, I washed it out real good and it appears that is actvates when the smaller vacuum line sucks. I theorize that when the car is running it opens and fuel vapors and pressure is pulled out of the foat bowl. Anybody think I am on to something? Also.. I think using my lungs to aspirate this valve has made me a little ill. SC

Your symptoms may also be caused by too much fuel being dumped into the intake. Take a look in down the throttle when idling. If you see what looks like a small waterfall then your carb is dumping liquid fuel down the intake and the engine will consequently run like crap.

Whatever the cause it sounds like you need a carb rebuild. If one of the internals is rotted out then chances are other things inside are falling apart as well.

Rebuild kit at Napa: $40

Time for rebuild: one tedious afternoon

getting to know the guts of your Soob carburetor: priceless

thx Exister, I rebuilt the carb and the engine runs pretty fine . I got some choke kick down problems and sometimes I idle at 3K. but it goes. This fuel starvation is driving me wacky. I thought this morning I would have a pleasant drive and after about 7 miles cough sputter s buck conk. Side of the road. Ran the starter for about 40 seconds Vroom last 3 miles to work no problemo.

Its the hardest problem to troubleshoot cause as soon as it happens, it fixes it self.

Crazy huh? SC