Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual steering rack in an SVX or any later subie that came with PS

benebob

Having had an issue with my SVX PS and some pin holes at the dragon Hocrest and I are kinda liking the thought of putting a manual rack in our racer svx. Definately had more power with a belt just running the alternator. Has anybody tried to adapt a manual rack to a later subie? I'm guessing that the rack would be pretty similar up to the tie rods right?

This question has been asked a tons on nasioc. I don't know the outcome or anyone has found one, but I'd suggest searching, and see what you come up with http://forums.nasioc.com/forums

Personally, I'd want some form of power steering...but that's me.

It isn't a street car by the least. As an autoxer now Yes PS is an advantage but when we go to climbing those hills (yes I know that's a foreign subject for you in Texas):banana: it won't be nearly as vital as the extra 5 hp. Gosh I hate the blabber mouths on nasioc! They have way too much stuck up their butts 99% of the time. The other 1% they actually can be helpful.:grin:

I would definately be interested in this. Power steering is a waste of power. and fluid.. and weight.. maybe?

You probably wouldn't be interested in it for a street car. My road SVX is currently w/o ps as I popped a hose at the dragon. It is not the nicest thing to drive in the current condition. Race car yes. Street car with parralel parking. You're kidding right!:grin:

Well, the way I understand it.. a manual steering rack is a little easier to control than a power steering rack that has failed. My power steering is working on its way out. My SVX has 207k on it. I have always prefered manual steering over power anyway. To me it feels more precise. Sure power steering is nice and easy.. blah blah.. but if you know how to use it, manual steering is way better. Besides, I never have to parallel park in Tucson. When I get the RX going again.. I wanted to take out the Power Steering and AC, and some other weight reduction stuff.. gonna try to make it a rally racer.

It isn't a street car by the least. As an autoxer now Yes PS is an advantage but when we go to climbing those hills (yes I know that's a foreign subject for you in Texas):banana: it won't be nearly as vital as the extra 5 hp. Gosh I hate the blabber mouths on nasioc! They have way too much stuck up their butts 99% of the time. The other 1% they actually can be helpful.:grin:

Grew up in the Seattle area & went to school in PA, so I might have been around a few hills :rolleyes:

Either way....the subject has been brought up on NASIOC. If you truly want a manual rack, find out what, if any is available for the impreza and use it on the SVX.