Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did I break it?

I just put in a new lock cylnder, not that tough, pulling the plasitcs to get to it were worse. Ok, so now what did I or didn't do, the key seems to be in the ON and LOCK posistions at the same time. Key out, wheel locked, the LOCK position right? Insert key and rotate forward, all it seems to do is go forward into the momentary or the START position. What the hell? Please tell me what am I missing? did I break somthing? WTF?!

i havent played with the subarus, but i have seen the actual switch units, so i imagine the locks function simlar to the nissan ones.. because the siwtch is almost the same, except for the plug. both hitachi, or kanto-seiki, or niles, or something like that... anyhow, it sounds like you have the switch oriented wrong inside the lock.. am i right in presuming that there is a lock mechanism that you put the key into, and then that cylinder turns.. and it has a screwdriver head looking thing, that fits into and actuates a switch you bolt onto the bottom, right? because it sounds like that switch need to be rotated a little bit.. it sounds like you are moving the keylock from lock to the next available space, but the switch is not going all the way back to Off and Lock position.. so you need to rotate it in the lock cylinder somehow. see if it can bolt up different.

this is just a swag, but these keylock ignition switches all function on the same idea, so i hope this helps.

both parts can only fit one way, I tried turning the switch around but no, it has ribs that will only allow one position. Is there anyone who has had this problem before?with all this collected knowledge it's hard to believe no one can give some HINT as to what I did wrong. C'mon it's really gonna hurt my pride to have to go to a locksmith.

well take the switch unit out, and make sure it goes through the proper sequence of positions by itself. then try operating the keylock by itself and see what that does. it could be that you have a switch from the wrong car as well, that would not be shocking considering the intelligence and knowledge level of most parts store personnel. they do their best but this is an obscure car and they are poorly informed.. and thats hard for them to cope with sometimes. you just cant presume they are infallible like you could if you had a ford. (of course, normally, your CAR is more infallible than a ford, so its a tradeoff.)

sorry i cant help any more, but im trying to give advice cuz i had the same problem a long time ago (well five or six years) on one of my first cars.. and had to figure it out the hard way. i bought an old datsun 280Z and had to find a keyswitch for it before i could register it.. so i was really excited to do so, which means i made many stupid mistakes....so i figured id tell you anything i could, and bump the thread at the same time.

heh, sounds like me.

good luck. if all else fails, try going into a junkyard with your switch unit (make sure they see it before you bring it in or they will try to make you pay for it as youre leaving) and see if you have any more luck in the junkyard.. you see my point? you MIGHT Not have the right switch.. there may be one that is JUST like yours that bolts in at a different orientation...