Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bad wipers-loyale 1991

i had been noticing poor wiper movment, so i bought new wipers. a few days later they stopped in the middle of a rain storm. i brought the car home and started inspecting the system.i decided to put a new wiper motor in because it seemed to me the brushes inside the motor would be bad. i have full operation when holding the wiper stick in (mist setting) and when i let go of the stick it stops, or completes the motion, then while the wipers are going back up they stop less than half way across the windshield. i am sure that the motor is good, because i hot wired it and it still worked as if i was powering the motor through the switch, so that eliminates the motor or the switch, i took the hood off and removed all the plastic air dam peices, i can see the linkages and they look good, no excessive looseness or binding. since i replaced the motor, it functions the same as ever (weak) like i said, only continuous function in the mist setting (stick pulled toward me) low, high and intermittant functions are limited to half a sweep. although if i pull the mist after they "stall out" half way up the glass, they will continue their movment, but at mist speed. please help! im really mad here!:lol:

thats weird because the mist setting works marvelous...but ill try it!

there is a ground coming off the harness to the motor/gear cover plate, im assuming this is the ground you were referring to, i put a wire in with the screw and the existing ground, ran the other end to battery negative, no change in operation, plenty of sparks though...could you reccomend what constitutes as a "good ground"? other than plain, non painted metal? dont forget this is a brand new reman wiper motor too... thanks for your help!

actually ive been reading some of the past threads, and the contacts within the gear cover on the wiper motor keeps coming up, is it at all possible the reman wiper motor i got could have bent contacts on the gear? it would make alot of sense that they burn out or get melted!

have you checked your relay? i mean, there is a wiper relay isnt there? i dont know alot about the wipers on the old soobs, but it sounds to me more like a relay problem than a mechanical failure. you might want to try a junkyard switch too.

• Like 1