Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saab wheels and sube == saabube?

After giving away the super light alloy saab wheels I just purchased.. I completely forgot about drilling the hub/rotor... is 114mm acheivable? or hub/rotor too small? again a close call (will check tomorrow). The offset is absolutely perfect -within 1/8th inch of riding good in the wells on tires just about hangin over the saab wheel -- even on my 2wd, and room to make a better fit with smaller tire. I'm gonna poop a brick if they can fit to drilled hubs. I can easily do that at home.Maybe I can go tell the guy I gave them to: "I changed my mind, can I have them back?" :confused:

I just measured exactly... it is so close. The back end of the studs would half to be grinded to a "3/4 moon" , and side of stud would be just touching the center ring on hub and nubs on rotor,and drilling out saab wheel to 3.5 center all the way through wouldn't be a good idea. The hard part, time consuming, would be the .25+ inch groove for the 3.5+ inch center ring without going all the way through wheel. It would be very strong if acheivable, studs coming out of the toughest part of rotor/hub and going through wheel normally. I don't believe I can do it. I would hope someone out there could. They fit very well, and they are very light. Some of the cars they came off of had as many reputable miles as an old sube- and wheels needed nothing for thier whole life.Upon a call to a used saab/bmw dealer local,the guy I spoke to claimed he just shipped out 100 alloys like the 3 I gave him for free, just to get rid of them. Abundance and cost is low to get them, and even make mistakes to drill without worry due to being more of them available.The saabs that hold them are fading away, leaving a lifetime alloy wheel behind (at least 4 of them).:)

This saab maneuvre can be done... (so far as I can tell now). The rear hubs drilled close to center ring, studs unmodified, but longer, and rim will sit on top of the center groove protruding from rear hub making it wider than the front in stance by 1/2 inch or so-- I may make spacer for it, but it doesn't seem necessary at this point. The front wheels have to be machined (drill bit) to get them to lock on to hub plate and drill that as well for saab pattern (the four nubs that seat oem wheel), and all fitting in the wells. Anyone relate to this? I still like it better than 6 lug hack, as strong center of hub/rotor will be utilized.I could even use the saab hub caps...

If someone can prove me wrong, I would appreciate it before taking apart. :)