Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 wagon question

Ditto on the timing belt. It's the first place I'd look. If it spins over kinda fast but does not even attempt to fire, it's the driver's side belt.

Easy to check: Look on front of the belt covers, you will see 2 kinda oval shaped inspection plugs. Pull those and look in there with an inspection mirror. It will be obvious if one is missing/shredded.

Easy to replace. Don't pass it up for that, breaking belts do not hurt these cars and a new belt can be fitted in an afternoon if you have not done it before.

Depending on price, go look at it again. I got one of my 87 GL Wagons for $200 because it "needed an engine". All it took was a L/H timing belt (which I knew before I bought it). 3 years and 25k miles later it's still raising hell:headbang:

Well, its $175, but it had a bashed in rear end, can still be driven, but looks bad like the frame is bent. Im not sure waht to do.

If it appears totaled AND has a suspect engine......run away. If you can definately find an easy fix for the engine, it would be a good beater. Or parts car.