Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've had some trouble starting my 1996 Legacy L Wagon. I took it to a garage and the guy said a couple of the "sensors" were dirty. Not sure what sensors they were. He cleaned them and it started fine for about 6 months. Now I'm back to the same problem.

It starts great in the morning or after it has sat for a solid 4 hours. But, if I stop to go into a store it either won't start or it takes a litany of four letter words and beating on the steering wheel (usually a combination of both).

I have a badly torn CV boot on the front passenger side which splatters grease all over that area including the cat conv. My question is: Is one of these "sensors" somewhere around that area? Can I just clean it off myself until I get the new axle assembly installed? (BTW, I have ordered the Haynes manual, so i'll have a better idea about the anatomy in this area once I receive it. Until then, I'm as clueless as a monkey.)

Thanks

Craig

i have the same car and had the same problem. i did replace the temp sensors, as a preventative maintenance item. the problem though was the cam position sensor.

i'm in canada and ordered the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor as a kit from liberty subaru in new jersey (201) 261-7495. the price was under $50.00 for both and the paid for the mailing. one of those sensors here was > $150 canadian. i just ordered a knock sensor this week from this dealer. i found them great to deal with.

you can change the cam and crank sensors yourself with just a 10 mm wrench. takes a minute for each and your hot start problem should go away. you should find pictures of locations by doing a search.

depending on the age of your subaru, you might consider changing the other sensors mentioned above and cleaning any ground wire connections you can find.

good luck,

mark

'96 brighton wagon

wondering if the grease from the torn CV boot could be dirtying one these sensors? if so, which one and can i temporize the problem by cleaning it intermittently until i get the axle assembly changed?

thanks for the responses

craig

Both the crank and cam angle sensors are sealed magnetic pickups; nothing that I can think of to "clean" except maybe thier connectors. The coolant temperatiure sensor (CTS) is also a sealed unit (contains a semiconductor thermistor) and also would have little to clean except connector. None of these should be able to be affected by CV grease (due to location and being sealed).

is this a DIY for a nooby?

replacing the cam and crank sensors is one of the easiest things to do on your car. i'm going by memory, but the cam angle sensor is located on the driver's side of the engine at the fron behind the bottom outside edge of the cam cover. there is a plastic connection to undo and a small 10 mm bolt that holds it in. locate the sensor, undo the connection, remove the bolt, pull the sensor out and install the replacement.

the crank angle sensor is smack dab in the middle of the top of the engine at the front, generally behind the alternator. changes out the same as the cam angle sensor.

do a search for pictures of location in the archieves of this board and good luck.

mark

96 legacy brighton

82 vw scirocco

93 lincoln continental

01 vw golf

and i love my subaru and my scirocco....the rest you can have!

thanks for the responses!

i'll go to autozone this weekend and have them check the code(s) setting off the "check engine" light and look forward to changing one or all of the above sensors. sounds pretty easy, AND i just got my Hayne's manual in the mail yesterday. nothin' more dangerous than a nooby armed with a little knowedge :headbang: .

craig