Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt 137K 98 2.5L outback

Hi all,

I had the timing belt replaced on my 1998 Subaru outback, 2.5L last month @ 137,000 miles (also done at 60K due to an oil leak). I asked the Subaru dealer that was doing the work to also replace the water pump because it's original and I plan on keeping this car for a long time. The dealer told me there was no need because they rarely fail. I questioned him about it and he assured me that it was a waste of my money to replace it, so I didn't. Subaru dealer did replace the cam/cranks seals and valve cover gaskets/grommets because I had oil leaks. Total cost was $900. After reading all the messages on this forum, I'm a little pXXXXXd off with the dealer because everyone seems to agree that replacing the water pump should be done with the timing belt, especially if the car has high miles and you plan on keeping it (which I do!). What are the odds of my water pump failing? What signs should I look for to minimize further damage should it happen? Should I go back to the dealer and request they install a water pump with minimal labor charge?

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

<<Should I go back to the dealer and request they install a water pump with minimal labor charge?>>

I just did that same service at my shop on a 2.5 Legacy, but we put on a water pump, gasket and thermostat, all for $775 I would recommend going elsewere next time you need service done, they should have done the water pump if you requested it. They make money on the parts and service.