Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying new OutBack...need advise

Looking at buying a new Outback. Either a 2005 or 2006. Any known problem areas with either year I should be concerned about? Tranny,motor,electrical....? Anybody tow anything with them? How do they do for towing? I have a boat ~1800lb and we plan on getting a small camper next summer. Just wondering if they would be able to tow them without problems.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

RC

Most folks buy the H6 for towing. Or the turbo with automatic. The H4 is not fast to begin with. An auxiliary transmission cooler is a good idea if you are towing far. As an OBW weighs about 2X what you are towing you shouldn't have any worries.

They are reliable and durable cars. The biggest complaint is poor wet road and snow traction with the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92/RE92A tires. But they may have already been replaced on a used one.

I advise that you test drive one for AT LEAST half an hour. Subaru still hasn't figured out how to make comfortable seats and or seating/pedal positions. Pay particular attention to the angle and placement of your foot on the gas pedal. Notice your foot at a 25 degree angle and how your knee is tweaked. Now notice that you can't rest your foot on the gas pedal without accelerating. How long do you think you can hover your foot over the gas pedal at that angle before you're hurting? Try heal-to-toe breaking/accelerating and notice that you have to swing your foot/knee 45 degrees to the left, and up an inch or two, to get the job done.

I would be very surprised if you don't come away from your test drive with a sore back and/or a sore knee. I talked to a lady who had her seat completely rebuilt and she still can't stand the pain of driving her '05 Outback.

Maybe the '06 is better than my '05. I don't know.

Juan

I have found that things like seat comfort, pedal angle, etc. are very personal issues. Do I wish my '95 Legacy had better lumbar support? Yes. Other than that, I think it's very comfortable. I bought it used so the seat is very worn to begin with. Juan is right; test drive the car for a while and see what you think.

Brian

So no real problem areas to be concerned about?

I know what you mean about seat discomfort....we had a 99 forester and I couldn't sit in it for more than 50 miles before my legs would start to ache. The problem was two things...the placement of the pedal as you mention and the seat was just to short in the front. Didn't provide any support. My wife now has an 05 Forester and it is much more tolerable for me. I can go longer distances (51 miles haha ) now before I need to stretch my legs. I've driven the 05 Outbacks and haven't felt any discomfort. Haven't tried an 06 yet.

RC

I have an 06 3.0r wagon. I do tow with it, albeit a small boat. Total weight around one thousand lbs. and a fairly low wind profile(a boston whaler 13'). Car tows nicely and last weekend I went about 450 miles with it averaging about 14mpg with the AC on and running in fourth gear(in sport shift mode ) at 75 to 80 mph on the interstate. It would not hold this high speed in auto without shifting down at the slightest incline. The mileage suprised me somewhat but I was going fast and there is a price to pay for that choice.

Had an 04 3.0 wagon and it was nice but I never towed with it. I actually liked that radio better because it had the weather band on it.

All in all a good value for the money I believe.