Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tire pressure monitoring system

'06 Outback 3.0r with the tire pressure monitoring system. Had a flat a month ago and system detected the low pressure and reset itself after the new tire was installed and the car went above 20mph. Worked as advertised and no problems since that time.

Yesterday, one hour into a four hour drive, the TPMS lite starts to flash (rather than a steady lite for low pressure)supposedly because the self monitoring system has a fault within. Today I check tire pressure to eliminate that variable and they are all good. System lite was on for two seconds on start up and went out indicating a good system check. Cranked and drove above the 20mph activation speed up to 60mph for about five minutes. No TPMS lite.

Questions are these: Does it have an event memory to store fault codes or is it tied into the OBD system for the car and store them there? Anyone have any similar experience with this system? The receptor box is under the drivers seat and I made sure there were no items under there that could have interfered with a signal. And whatever caused the fault lite to apprear is probably intermittent since it went away once electrical power was removed from the system and did not reappear when power was applied again.

I have already had the radio system replaced for electrical failure. The computer trip display replaced for electrical failure. The car behind me in the service lane was in for a display failure and radio replacement.

Anyone in the dealerships working on these seeing a trend with these type of electrical faults ?

Three trips to the dealer for warranty electrical work in fifteen months and 23k miles is not a good trend.

A friend of mine has an 05 outback wagon. I don't think she's had any real issues. I think the tire monitoring system did illuminate a light when the tire was low...but I believe it reset itself.

Has the light only come on that one time, or is reoccuring more frequently?

I have an 06 3.0R that just turned 24,000 miles.

The power outlet in the console (which I use all the time for my GPS) came loose and was fixed at the dealer during an oil change. That's the extent of my problems.

My summer wheels don't have TPMS. The flashing light came on after 15-18 minutes of driving, so the system takes longer to update than the manual says.

I've "disabled" the flashing light with a 1" square of black electrical tape. now that I have the stock rims back on with snows, I left the tape in place because I find the Subaru system worthless. Our nissan gives the individual tire pressures, at least.

Just the one occurrence with the lite coming on. Nothing else in the last several days.

I don't want to "disable" it with the tape because the system does work.

Now, about that loose power outlet. I have a persistent rattle under the dash in the vicinity of the steering wheel that sounds like an extra screw or clip moving around when on slightly rough roads. Any problem with yours in that area?

Thanks.

Ah, finally my stupid Nissan gives me something to apply knowledge to.

In my Nissan, our "fault condition" is when the light flashes for 60 seconds then goes solid.

When the system goes into a fault condition, the BCM (Body Control Module, another wonderful Nissan POS device) stores a code. Nissan mechanics normally claim that the tire sensor has just lost communication with the system, and they "reregister" (reset) all the sensors to clear the light and get you on your way.

However, as we have found out, the error will reoccur after around 1000 miles, and it will always be the same code.

We have also found the corrective action:

On first failure, replace the wheel sensor for whichever wheel throws the fault code.

If the failure occurs again with the same fault code, replace the BCM. Not sure what part of the system on a Subaru takes the part of the BCM. ECU maybe? unless there's a separate systems computer.

Hope this helps.

We have also found the corrective action:

On first failure, replace the wheel sensor for whichever wheel throws the fault code.

If the failure occurs again with the same fault code, replace the BCM. Not sure what part of the system on a Subaru takes the part of the BCM. ECU maybe? unless there's a separate systems computer.

Hope this helps.

Yea, it will help to have a plan.

Long gone are the days when I give the dealer or anyone the car and await the call "that your car is ready". Not necessarily fixed, just ready!

I describe what symptoms I have seen, what problems I think exist and what results I expect from the visit. I also have the service manager write down what they think the problem might be, how they are going to check for that problem, and the results they expect from that procedure. I document these on the work order, sign it, have the service manager sign it to acknowledge what we have discussed, and then I get a copy of the signed sheet. There is a written maintenance procedure for every item on these cars that greatly increases the probability the correct result will occur if the checklist is used and followed.

Paying with my time and money for a "poke and hope" to get a car fixed is no longer part of the routine.

Thanks for the suggestions.