Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber carb. conversion questions!

I put a brand new Weber carburator on my '82 Brat GL 1.8L. I'm not really sure how to hook up the electronic choke. I suppose I have to do some cutting and splicing? Also, what do I do with the throttle cable, the one I have seems to be too short? Last thing, what all gets capped(i've deleted most of my emissions junk)?! Pictures would be helpful, but any knowledge or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dain']I put a brand new Weber carburator on my '82 Brat GL 1.8L. I'm not really sure how to hook up the electronic choke. I suppose I have to do some cutting and splicing? Also' date=' what do I do with the throttle cable, the one I have seems to be too short? Last thing, what all gets capped(i've deleted most of my emissions junk)?! Pictures would be helpful, but any knowledge or advice will be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

Cap everything you can find. You'll probably have to spray around with carb cleaner with the engine running to find them all. Some lines end up getting disconnected at both ends so you don't have to worry about those. There is a fuel return line that you need to cap, it used to be hooked to the carb. You'll need to run a new vacuum line from the vacuum advance to the Weber, and a new line from the EGR to the Weber. You'll probably need to remove a tiny brass screw next to the vacuum advance port on the Weber to expose the EGR port on the Weber. Hooking up the EGR is optional, but improves emissions. If it idles poorly, you have a vacuum leak. Spray around with carb cleaner and when the idle smooths out, you know some carb cleaner entered the intake via a vacuum leak.

As for the throttle cable, I was able to get mine to work, but I had to adjust it all the way to make it as long as possible. You need to hook up the throttle return spring somehow. I took a part of the old air cleaner to make a tower to mount the spring to. I could post a pic late tonight if you need that.

As for the choke, you probably unplugged a wiring harness to get the carb free. Cut those wires from the carb so you keep the plug intact. Figure out which one went to the choke and cut the rest close to the plug. You now have a white plug with one wire sticking out of it. Hook that wire to the choke on the Weber, and plug the plug back into its mate and you're good to go.

That was all for the EA82 engine. You might have the EA81, but its probably pretty similar.

...and when you cut the three wires on the plug, be sure to wrap them in electrical tape so they won't short out and kill the engine when your wife is driving the car. Don't ask me how I know.

Oh yeah, thanks alot dude. Hahaha, no need to tell those ;) stories, I have a pretty funny one on that page. I actually pretty much got everything figured out on it. I think I have a few more lines to cap. I deleted the EGR, I don't need emissions where I am. I ended up doing a crazy mod. to a Carter Weber throttle cable bracket. I actually just extended the height of it (I have pictures of it, not sure how to upload them). And for the choke, I had your exact idea, but I ended up just making a whole new wire with ends. thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it. I'm not new to Subaru (or auto mechanics) but of course I don't know everything. So after all that, I figured out my head cracked from freezing, and possibly my block;and my intake gaskets blew, it sucks. didnt have a chance to tune it in (break it's hymin).