Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cracks on bellhousing?

well... i totally cleaned up my engine compartment (looks shiny, sorta) and i noticed two things, one being the bellhousing has cracks on it... and also im trying to figure out what gasket i'm leaking oil from... i'll take pics right now, actually.

and before i get the "police" on my case like i did last time, the car's an '86 ea82 3at with 94k. :lol:

heres the pics: (in a link because they're huge)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/IMAGE_00018.jpg

up on the bellhousing, where it's blackened somewhat (from me rubbing on it) it has really small cracks. then also in this picture, the gasket right before the spark plug hole (see the crappy yellowish sealant job?) is leaking the oil somewhat... isnt that the valve cover gasket?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/IMAGE_00020.jpg

this picture... im trying to make sure, is that one-prong lookin plug my CTS? brownish poo colored plug...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/IMAGE_000211.jpg

and WTF is that plug?

The one prong connector is your coolant temp sender. It's only job is to send signal to the gauge. Your true CTS, the one the computer uses, has two wires about 4 inches long coming off it ending at a green(probably) plug. it is right below thermostat housing on outer side of intake manifold.

Cracks in the bellhousing? I cant see any. +1 for casting lines. It is VERY unlikely the bell housing is cracked and even if it was it is VERY VERY VERY unlikely it would shatter. your 90 hp motor doesn't have the mustard for that kind of crazy Drag race style action:lol:

That plug with the jumpers in it? I can't tell what I'm lookin at. can we get a better picture? the connector looks like one of the vaccuum solenoid connectors. Maybe someone substituted a different solenoid in there hence the Jumpers?

update. I think that unkown plug is your EGR solenoid valve.

i cant find that friggin CTS for the life of me... well, at least i know what that 1-prong is for :) and that jumpered one is a vacuum solenoids... it's not throwing a CEL, the car's not running weird (beside the CTS) so i shall leave that alone. i thought it could be the CTS or something... it's not

i'll quit stressing the bellhousing, and pray i make it to arizona... 400 miles, 75mph 4,000rpm :banana:

but which gasket is that in the pic with the cruddy sealant job?? hmm

thanks for the replies! giving me confidence in my little soob :)

I think the yellow gasket you are talking about is where the cam tower seals to the head, and it isn't a gasket at all. You use sealant (the kind in a tube) there to seal it up, so that is probably what's leaking. It probably looks crappier than it really is because of all the sealant glopping out.

If it is leaking you should re-do it at some point (and probably the valve cover gaskets while you're in there) but if you keep an eye on the oil level it should be OK for your trip.

In the "image_00020.JPG" You can see the CTS, it is barely visible, right below and to the left of the radiator hose. Look at the bottom end of that black connector that's parallel to the RAD hose. Quarter sized little metal knob with a yellowish plastic seal, and two wires. It is half obscured in the pic, and you can't see the wires but that's it.