Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Checked codes

I checked the codes on the coupe, and got code 14. I looked it up at http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/ and it said "Duty solenoid or circuit". Now, what the hay-al is that!?

P.S. Thanks in advance!

P.S.S. 1984 EA81 coupe

Well to start, I don't see on that link where it says code 14 is a solenoid issue.

But the reason I'm replying is that I have a Factory service bulletin here, the update for 84 actually. It has a big note about How the Trouble codes are new for 84 only.

Note: it is important to note that all ECS codes on our carb and Turbo models have signifigant changes from the 83 model years. This means that when diagnosing a 1984 ECS problem, the 84 Update manual of 84 Service manual must be used.
I am assuming we're talking about a feedback carb model, not a Turbo(EGI fuel injection)?

If that is the case 14 is a SPECIFICATION code. It shows when the key is on, engine off. meaning the computer is set up to be in a Analog dash, automatic, Hitachi carbed model. If this is the only code you get it means the rest of the system is normal.

Now if it still reads that code while the engne is running, that means the ECU is not seeing an ignition pulse(tach wire on - of coil). But then the car may not run at all.

Are you having drivability issues? what is the car doing? Seems you're ECS is running normally. And actually for that Feedback carb, you should be able to make it run well without the whole ECS system.

Well, first, the ECS light comes on after driving a while, say, 15 minutes. Also, I am not sure if I did it correctly, I just plugged in the two green connectors near the computer, don't know if there is anything else I need to do. It also tends to bog out a bit when you give it throttle. Don't have a clue what that means. Also, there is a leak from one of the exhaust manifold gaskets, could something be caused by that? Also, yes, it is a feedback carb.

Try replacing the O2 sensor. it is cheap, less than 20 bucks. Poor readings from it can make you run way rich, and set the ECS light. Although there is a code for the O2 sensor(23), it may not actually set. The sensor could be putting out a signal that is within the range what the ECS expects to see, but not the correct reading of what is really happening.

ie: ECS see's a lean signal but actually it's running rich. ECS doesn't know the O2 sensor is feeding wrong data.This is a guess.

I think you are reading the codes right. Are you reading off the "O2 monitor" LED? small light visible through hole on the ECU itself, under steering column?

Here the proceedure. Engine should be warm. connect the green test connector with engine off. start it, rev it over 2000 rpms for at least a minute. ECS light should be off at first, then steadily flash if everything is fine. If not it will stay off or on constant. and a trouble code will be output on the "o2 monitor" light.

Trouble codes will also be output without connecting that test jumper when the ECS light is on. So disconnect it, go for a drive till it ECS light comes on, leave it running and look at the O2 monitor LED and see if you've got a code. With no code and the engine running LEDgoes on and off as the O2 reads lean and rich. This blinking is very random and without pattern. unlike the trouble codes which are like morse code.