Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing rusted out tailgate strut?

So for the last year or so I've been living in fear of my tailgate. The car is a 1997 Legacy Brighton wagon. I originally noticed that the left strut (not sure if that's the proper name, some call it a "gas stay" I think - the two things that hold the tailgate up) was rusting out at the "ball" part of the socket joint where it attached to the vehicle. My mechanic said the part was around $100 and so my poor behind said forget it. Eventually it rusted to the point where occasionally it would slip off when I shut the tailgate, chipping the plastic casing of the tail light. Ouch! Eventually on the other side of the country halfway through a road trip the socket was rusted out completely and just wouldn't catch. We junked it there and I've been propping the thing up with a long piece of wood ever since. So sketchy!

The real question is, where's the best place to get one of these on the cheap? A junkyard I assume. I'm not sure which model years would match my car. The install looks rediculously easy. I've attempted to find a generic replacement via the intraweb without and luck. Suggestions are appreciated!

I *may* be ready to eat my own words. This has the look of what I want, but I'm thrown off by the fact that it says "Trunk Strut" with no mention of a tailgate. Perhaps the struts are the same? I haven't been able to find a full parts list anywhere. Hmmm.

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year=1997&make=SU&model=LEG-4WD-002&category=All&part=Trunk%20Strut&dp=true