Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale:CEL & Code 34

Hi - new to the board. Have a 1993 Loyale, Man Tran, AC, w/89K miles. I'm the original owner.

Have question concerning the following: Code 34 "EGR Solenoid Valve-solenoid switch continously in ON or OFF position or (California only) clogged EGR line"

I can easily push the EGR valve in by finger pressure. I also tried this with the engine running - idle went from fine to dropping down in RPM and idling sorta rough. How do I rectify this trouble code i.e. what does it mean?

Thanks,

Ken

The code is actually for the solenoid, not the valve. The EGR solenoid is the one with the vacuum line that leads to the valve, and it is the same as the purge control solenoid, but with a different connector. It can also be replaced (with some connector splicing) with solenoids from different cars, but I don't remember which ones (a search should turn up a post about this.) You might want to check the vacuum lines to make sure they aren't clogged before you replace anything, but these solenoids burn out all the time.

I had the same thing going on for a really long time, and when I got tired of the CEL being on I replaced it with an extra purge control solenoid I had, and it fixed the problem.

From what I understand, it doesn't affect anything. It is there to reduce emissions, but my car passed just fine with the solenoid broken and the CEL on, so who knows.

I decided to fix it so that if there was another code being thrown I wouldn't keep ignoring the light. It was easy enough to do once I got ahold of the part.