Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T 4 plug computer ID ?

Numbers on box are , front face :

19 in bold numbers

22611 AA400

A11-000 R14 8511

On loom plug end small sticker

R14

I got this computer from someone that had A Turbo Spider Vortex front cut and need to know if this computer is RX or Vortex .

Also can anyone remember where the thread was at this site that tells how to re jig the TPS wiring if not using a Vortex Turbo computer ie RX Turbo box with the Turbo Spider TPS and Manifold .

Many thanks , cheers Adrian in Australia .

Seems to me that as long as both are Turbo ECUs there should be no diference.

It would help a little to know what years we are talking about. It's also hard to say because in the US, there were no Turbo *vortex*(xt) after 87. We got the XT6 instead. All the turbo ones here used the old flapper style and the 3 connector ECU. So all of my 88+ XT manuals show only non turbo info.

It would help a little to know what years we are talking about. It's also hard to say because in the US, there were no Turbo *vortex*(xt) after 87. We got the XT6 instead. All the turbo ones here used the old flapper style and the 3 connector ECU. So all of my 88+ XT manuals show only non turbo info.

In 87.5 we did get a Spider Turbo XT. There's a specific 87 FSM for it too. But that's it.

The ECUs should actually be interchangeable, but they still may not be. You'll have to find an FSM to compare the two and figure out what you got. Or check the dealership and see if they can look it up. Unfortunately here in the US, it'll be hard for us to help you since spider XT Turbos are so rare.

I have access to a non turbo spider Vortex manual (FSM) but man I'd really like to see a turbo spider manual .

From what I can tell so far the spider throttlebody has a different 4 plug throttle position switch (TPS) to the hotwire (4 plug ECU) RX turbo type , which has 3 wires to the main rectangular plug and 3 more out the side of the TPS body to a round plug . The early flapper 3 plug ECU's seem to be able to run with the late RX (L series) TPS and the round plug is left disconnected .

From a quick glance at a non turbo spider FSM , the single 4 plug TPS seems to do all the late L type 3+3 one does but with simplified wiring .

BTW someone down here at the AUSubaru site said someone up your way managed to wire a spider TPS to work with an early flapper/3 plug computer system . Since my car uses this system (I think late 85 build RX-T) this info would be very useful to me .

Cheers and thanks , Adrian in Aus .

I have access to a non turbo spider Vortex manual (FSM) but man I'd really like to see a turbo spider manual .

From what I can tell so far the spider throttlebody has a different 4 plug throttle position switch (TPS) to the hotwire (4 plug ECU) RX turbo type , which has 3 wires to the main rectangular plug and 3 more out the side of the TPS body to a round plug . The early flapper 3 plug ECU's seem to be able to run with the late RX (L series) TPS and the round plug is left disconnected .

From a quick glance at a non turbo spider FSM , the single 4 plug TPS seems to do all the late L type 3+3 one does but with simplified wiring .

BTW someone down here at the AUSubaru site said someone up your way managed to wire a spider TPS to work with an early flapper/3 plug computer system . Since my car uses this system (I think late 85 build RX-T) this info would be very useful to me .

Cheers and thanks , Adrian in Aus .

The Spider TPS can be made to work with the Hotwire MAF system easily. Basically, both are potentiometer types with a Power, a signal, a ground and an idle switch that gets grounded at closed throttle. on the 3+3 type, if you look carefully, the plug that goes right onto the TPS only has 2 wires in it(so really it's 2 +3). It is the idle switch portion. One wire is ground, the other carrys the grounded signal back to the ECU to tell it that the throttle is closed. The 3 seperate wires are a gound, a power, and a signal form the potentiometer portion. To make this style work with a Spider TPS you just need to combine the 2 ground wires(or just cut ff one of them, since they are already combined further up the harness) and match the remaining 3 to their respective pins(power, signal, Idle) on the Spider TPS.

As far as using a Spider TPS with the older type, I can't see how it would work. The old style is not a potentiometer. It has an idle switch and a wide open throttle switch. the standard(non-spider) TPS from the newer type (3+3)has the same idle switch and may even have the WOT switch inside it as well(the unused pin) They seem to be a hybrid, almost as if they added the 3 wire pigtail as a retrofit. So it's possible that it would plug and play onto the old system.

But the spider ones are totally different and have no WOT switch. It may run the older style to an extent, but you will never get WOT signal so may run lean under full throttle. On the old style when the idle switch is off, but the WOT switch hasn't been activated, the computer uses the MAF and the O2 sensor to determine fuel mixture.

Hey thanks for that .

My Turbo spider manifold is still in transit so can you tell me if its throttlebody opens in the opposite direction to the normal one ? I was wondering if the 3 plug TPS could be used but with the idle and full throttle wires reversed to correct the rotation direction issue .

Thanks muchly again , cheers Adrian .

Hey thanks for that .

My Turbo spider manifold is still in transit so can you tell me if its throttlebody opens in the opposite direction to the normal one ? I was wondering if the 3 plug TPS could be used but with the idle and full throttle wires reversed to correct the rotation direction issue .

Thanks muchly again , cheers Adrian .

Spider TPS is opposite rotation. As far as reversing the idle and WOT switches that's an interesting idea. I'll go out and test fit it and see if it would work. Ihave a spider and an old style TPS in my garage.

Here's what I found out.

First off the mounting holes on the Spider Throttle Body(TB) are closer toghether than the standard TB. So mounting it would require drilling new holes in the mounting plate. No big deal. you could mount it directly and switch the Idle and WOT wires and it works, sort of. Look at this picture. the red part is the idle portion, the blue neither at idle nor at WOT, the purplish red is the WOT section. It is designed so that the idle portion is very small, only in contact until the throttle is at about 2-3 degrees open. The WOT portion is supposed to activate when the throttle plate is between a 45 degree angle and 90 degree angle, 90 being as far as it can go.

post-21475-136027623181_thumb.jpg

The problem with simply switching wires and directly mounting it is adjustment and range. using the idle portion as the WOT makes it so you only get the signal at almost 80 degrees open. And likewise the idle will be signaled until you open the throttle almost 20 degrees. Notice though that the hole for the throttle shaft is open all the way through. So here is what I suggest

post-21475-136027623189_thumb.jpg

First you need to drill out the rivets holding the plastic cover on. Then drill a hole allinged with the throttle shaft big enough for the shaft to go through. Now with some longer mounting bolts, and some kind of spcer as thick as the TPS case(so it doesn't crush and stick)you can mount it flipped over and Voila! Now it rotaes correct direction and can be plugged directly to harness. No wire switching and it will still contact at the appropriate range. The mounting slots will still need to be redrilled closer to the case.

Yep thats a workable idea . Another I thought of was possibly mounting a microswitch running on the TB's quadrant to switch the WOT circuit . I have to be a little careful as Spider TPS's are rare here so can't affort to damage the only one I'll have .

One further would I be right suspecting the 4 pin SPFI TPS is the same as the Spiders and if so is there any similarity between the SPFI and Spiders TB itself ?

Thanks once again , cheers Adrian in Aus .

One further would I be right suspecting the 4 pin SPFI TPS is the same as the Spiders and if so is there any similarity between the SPFI and Spiders TB itself ?

Thanks once again , cheers Adrian in Aus .

The SPFI TPS is similar to the Spider TPS. But again it is opposite rotation. The SPFI throttle body has the injector mounted in it. You could remove the injector, but it's mounting would still be there blocking air flow. the rest of the setup would be tricky to figure out as well. If anything better to use a standard MPFI throttle body on the spider, but it would still take adaptation.

In any case you need to match the type of TPS to whichever ECU setup you have. If you have the early flapper maf and the 3 plug ECU, you need to use the old switch style TPS. Or perhaps some microswitch mounted.

But really, drilling a hole in the plastic case and flipping it over would be super easy. I did it in 20 mins. Then it is plug and play. and once you have it setup, you could replace it if it ever went bad and all you'd have to do is switch the plastic cover to the new one and drill narrower mounting slots.