Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83GL Shifter Bushing/Linkage progress & question - HELP!

So I finally dug in to try and get this shifter slop taken care of. I took out the rubber top from the shifter and cleaned up the tranny shaft area. I was surprised to see that there was already a pin in there. Not sure if that was stock or not. Worked sort of like a wire brad or bobby pin spread out the end to seal it in there. Folded it straight again and after a bunch of tapping with a hammer and chunk of wire, I got it out.

DSCN2694.jpg

Is this normal? And from here, do I drill the existing hole out further to put a larger bolt in? I already went over the steps in USRM http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49954

Just not sure about this pin. Wanted to be sure before I drill anything. Would love some advice. Thanks!

I just finished mine about a week ago. I used the bolt from the shifter in my 84 2wd parts car that holds it to the shaft. After hacksawing my way past the hole I added a lock washer on each side and bolted it up snug so it squeezes tight on the shaft from the tranny. The bolt was a perfect fit so I didn't need to drill out the hole. It works sooooooooo much better it's not even funny. I can grab reverse with 1 hand instead of using 2 and wrestling with it.:banana: Hope that helps! Frank (fshnidiot)

I just finished mine about a week ago. I used the bolt from the shifter in my 84 2wd parts car that holds it to the shaft. After hacksawing my way past the hole I added a lock washer on each side and bolted it up snug so it squeezes tight on the shaft from the tranny. The bolt was a perfect fit so I didn't need to drill out the hole. It works sooooooooo much better it's not even funny. I can grab reverse with 1 hand instead of using 2 and wrestling with it.:banana: Hope that helps! Frank (fshnidiot)

GOT IT! Took about an hour and WOW... what a difference. I wont say it feels like new, but it goes into reverse now. First time it did it while sitting still since I bought the car!!! And much less movement in the other gears too. Amazing.

GOT IT! Took about an hour and WOW... what a difference. I wont say it feels like new, but it goes into reverse now. First time it did it while sitting still since I bought the car!!! And much less movement in the other gears too. Amazing.

Good to hear. Isn't it nice to be able to use reverse again!! Congrats!!! :banana: Frank (fshnidiot):headbang: