Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New CV boot now ripped. Why?

I replaced a CV joint about a month ago, because it had a ripped boot (inner joint, passenger). Now it's ripped again and so is the outer boot on the driver's side.

The driver's wheel doesn't move very freely. I thought it was the CV axle.

Sometimes I notice a slight vibration in the steering under load.

Steering has little or no play.

Also, when turning sharply at slow speeds, there is a noise I can't describe well, from both sides.

Help! Just when I thought I could get out of all of the other problems for under 200 bucks....

I replaced a CV joint about a month ago, because it had a ripped boot (inner joint, passenger). Now it's ripped again and so is the outer boot on the driver's side.

Did you replace just the boot? or the whole axle? If you bought a new or reman axle, chances are it has a warranty, take it back.

Make sure you don't have a caliper dragging or a bad wheel bearing. The wheels should turn fairly freely when both are off the ground.

Did you replace just the boot? or the whole axle? If you bought a new or reman axle, chances are it has a warranty, take it back.

Make sure you don't have a caliper dragging or a bad wheel bearing. The wheels should turn fairly freely when both are off the ground.

Replaced with a new CV axle.

But that is passenger side. The wheel doesn't drag.

The other wheel does drag, and now that too is ripped on the outer side.

Could it be the transaxle? It's 4wd.

Dragging caliper or wheel bearing....

Yeah, when I did the other side I had to replace the steering arm: the bearings just fell out when I pulled out the cv axle. Ughh. With everything I need to do on this car plus hitching to the junk yard and back if the steering arm is bad, this could take me a couple of days.

The trans-axle was cooking after driving on the highway for about an hour. Seems like it's better not to go over 55. The CV axle was really hot. That's my guess for why the new inner CV axle boot split.

The dragging is on the other side. For that, I picked up another strut at the junk yard for $15, and a new CV axle (before I realized the transaxle gets so hot), since there the outer boot is split and looks like it has been for a while.