Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for advice on a cruise control swap

First of all I'd like to thank everyone on this board who has provided me with such good info in the past. Resources like this are key for getting stuff done yourself.

I have a 97 Legacy Brighton wagon that I'm de Brightonizing a bit. When I first got the car I added a tach which was very worth it. After driving 9,000 miles across the country and back last winter I'm realizing that cruise control would be a worthy addition. (I'm looking at doing another 5,000 mile roadtrip again this winter.)

I've done some searching and found some good pointers already but I'm a little foggy on a few points.

I'm doing this with the help of a much more experienced mechanic than myself who has unfortunately not done this swap before, either. So if I sound a little clueless please forgive me.

The donor car is a 95 Legacy wagon with a 5 speed MT also. So far we've swapped over the steering wheel engagement switch and dashboard switch, but not the servo, brake + clutch switches or computer. The computer seems to be a real problem. From my manual it appears to be behind the fan - but I could be wrong. This would seem to necesitate dismantling the fan and/or heater core which sounds like way more trouble than other cruise control retrofitters on this board have gone through. I must be missing something or looking in the wrong place. Exactly how do you get at the computer?

And just to make sure that I have a full list of things needed to make this work;

-steering wheel engagement switch

-dashboard switch

-brake switch

-clutch switch

-servo unit

-cruise control computer

thanks everybody!

A friend of mine installed the factory cruise setup into a '95 (?) legacy a couple years ago.

IIRC, he said the CC computer went kind of behind and to the right of the glove box, not behind the heater stuff. In theory, the connectors should be there for it to plug into.

So, I would think if you took out the kick panels and glove box, you should see something to plug it into.

-Dave

I just did this to my Impreza, which came without factory CC.

The problem I ran into was that the unused connector was tucked away and nearly impossible to find. I looked pretty carefully a few times and had no luck.

The only way I finally found it was to get the factory service manual, which has a page that labels all the wiring connectors and their function. From that I was able to tell within about 2 square feet where the connector should be, so it was a no-brainer from there.

I bet if you're nice to a parts guy he'll show you that page in the manual. Or you can download it. http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips on finding the computer and connector. We managed to get all of the parts installed. Of course there's just one problem, it doesn't work! When you hit dash button it lights up, but the cruise control won't engage.

To recap: Donor parts are from a 95 Legacy wagon (MT) to a 97 Legacy Brighton Wagon (also MT.) We've checked:

-The steering wheel engagement switch. The pins are the same and line up perfectly.

-The clutch and brake switches. The appropriate plastic bits are on the pedals and the switches appear to be working properly.

What could be going wrong? Any suggestions?

I should have quoted OP, my question was for him. On Legacy models, the vacuum to the servo a.k.a. actuator was supplied from an electric pump rather than from intake manifold. I believe it was a carry-over from the previous generation which included turbo models.