Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got trip computer? Grounding question

Okay, so a user here (82GLSW or something like that, sorry, I haven't fully associated your username here with our conversation on AIM :rolleyes:) mailed me three trip computer light bulbs, and BEHOLD! I can actually read the silly thing.

As an aside, I have to say that after only one evening using it.. the trip computer was MADE FOR PIZZA DELIVERY!!!!!

Anyhow, the post is concerning in-dash grounding points.

The trip computer lights up fine. It stays lit adequately in all situations. However, whenever I hit my brake pedal, use a turn signal or hazard flasher, or turn on my running lights, the display dims a little bit. The HEADLIGHTS, however, do not effect it in the slightest.

I am presuming that the flashers, brake lights, running lights etc all switch a ground to their respective circuits, and that ground lies somewhere underneath the dash. I would like to find that ground point and clean it up, and possibly replace the wire if needs be. This is not an amperage issue, since I have the 90 amp Nissan Maxima alternator in and it runs great. No problems with slow AC blower fan at low RPM, headlights are good and bright at low RPM... In fact, I have no electrical issues with the car at ALL, except for slow power windows (need to clean the driver's switch, the relay checks out fine.)

Really, even this grounding issue is little more than a peeve.. but since this grounding point I seek is likely the same grounding point that my digidash temperature gauge is run off of, I would like it to be top-notch. I need to pull the dash apart to replace the AC vacuum switch, and run some new accessory wiring anyhow, so I figured I would shoot for some help locating the ground, and take care of that while I am in there.

Thanks in advance!

(BTW Trip Computer FTW!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: )

Glad to hear you got the bulbs. as far as a grounding point im not sure what to tell u on that everything plugs into the black box above the glove box which plugs into the main harness running behind the dash. Id check to see if ur battery terminal connection are completely tight.