Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20T with Megasquirt?

desertsoob

I am starting to round up parts for my EJ20T swap into my sand rail. Has anyone here used the Megasquirt computer system and harnesses?

I have talked to a couple guys that have and they loved them. Seem to be a bit more involved that using a Link or other setup. What are you currently running for an engine. IM debating a swap as well.Mike

I currently run a 1915cc VW with a single Empi 44 HPMX. The car is pretty quick and VERY reliable.

However, it is almost the slowest car in our group now. One guy has a 660lb aluminum rail with a 200hp 2332 (not very reliable) another has a 1915 with a turbo with 12 psi of boost putting out 180-190hp. THe other fast guy is running a 2180 with dual carbs and a thousand dollar set of heads. The first two mentioned are beating the LS2 cars up Comp Hill!

My car is slower and heavier, it is a dual sport desert car unlike the rest that are pretty much strictly sand rails. I am currently working on getting 12-14" travel front and rear and then will start building the subie. My theory was have enough suspension to be fast through the rough terrain first...then make it faster. If you have tons of HP but have to slow down every time you see a whoop or rut...it seems kinda useless.

2045324_38_full.jpg

2045324_39_full.jpg

Pretty cool buggy! Chenowth has always built really nice cars. My plan it to get away from the veedub. My engine is tore down for a refresh and for what its gonna cost to go through it I could be well on my way to a subi. Ive contemplated the 2.5 non turbo just cause I know my type 1 wont live long. Ive driven cars with that setup and they just dont have the punch off the bottom like the vw with a set up duals....So my plan is one of 2 things. A 2.2 with custom disty and dual 44 webers -or- a 2.5 with the stand alone crank fired igntion with carbs. Biggest reason for the carbs is I already have a set and I can tune them when needed no computer crap to go south on me!!!! So far pretty much everyone is saying "WHY" would you do that?????I will do a full post when its completed. Going from your 1915 to the 2.0t is gonna be HUGE...hope your tranny is ready for it:)....let me know how the swap goes...have you started the swap yet.....Mike

I run an 002 Bus tranny that should handle it for a while. Or atleast till I can get a built tranny.

I have been doing research on the swap but havent bought anything yet, till I know exactly what I need. Also, I am working on adding 10" Fox shocks and extended arms to the front and working on getting a 3x3 kit for the rear. Once the suspension is done....the subie transplant will be on!

Right on...your bus should hold up as like you dont get too rough her:) I found a good used ej22 for 200 bucks. My vw is still pieces waiting for machine work...it may not even go back together if the crank is bad. Where do you dune mainly?..

I run an 002 Bus tranny that should handle it for a while. Or atleast till I can get a built tranny.

I have been doing research on the swap but havent bought anything yet, till I know exactly what I need. Also, I am working on adding 10" Fox shocks and extended arms to the front and working on getting a 3x3 kit for the rear. Once the suspension is done....the subie transplant will be on!

Mostly dune Dumont since it is only 2 hours away. WE are going to Glamis in January though...but thats a bit of a road trip! It also sees alot of desert use out in Stoddard Valley. We throw on the desert tires and head out there alot to test the car after I fool with it.

Where do you normally go?

Im in Idaho...so st anthony idaho is the only place I go. A few more guys have rails now so we make take more trips...for us any trip is a road trip. I try to go 6 or so times a year but stay for a week each time...gotta make the drive worth it:)...

Mostly dune Dumont since it is only 2 hours away. WE are going to Glamis in January though...but thats a bit of a road trip! It also sees alot of desert use out in Stoddard Valley. We throw on the desert tires and head out there alot to test the car after I fool with it.

Where do you normally go?