Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interchange between EA81 and EA71

I found a godsend the other day and will be picking up a 1979 Brat on Thursday. :banana: Pretty sure the fuel pump on it is shot. Will an EA81 pump work on the older engine?

More to come I'm sure. I still need to go over it carefully, but provided it's not too rusty, I'm thinking about doing some pretty thorough restoration work on it. Hopefully it can also attend the show in Carlisle.

The gen 1 Brat fuel pump is under the hood. The gen 2 is back under the car by the fuel tank. It is completely different. If the fuel pump is bad you will have to find a gen 1 style fuel pump for it to work. Or you can find some aftermarket kind to work too.

The fuel pump from a EA-81 engine car will work as long as it isn't from a turbo and mpfi. The trans are interchangable as well except for the automatic. The flex plate will not fit the EA-71 engine. The end of the crankshaft on the EA-71 has a larger center, and a smaller outer flange. Otherwise the engines look the same from the outside. I built my trike from a 1981 brat with a EA-71 engine and I am going to have to change the engine to a EA-81 to make the automatic fit. I also wish you didn't live so far away. I would like to get a EA-81 engine from you. I would also like to find another EA-81 FWD automatic. Later, Carl

I found a godsend the other day and will be picking up a 1979 Brat on Thursday. :banana: Pretty sure the fuel pump on it is shot. Will an EA81 pump work on the older engine?

More to come I'm sure. I still need to go over it carefully, but provided it's not too rusty, I'm thinking about doing some pretty thorough restoration work on it. Hopefully it can also attend the show in Carlisle.