Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dragon's Ready to Fly, but MPG Issues?

shows what SHE knows - they ALL add detergents, just in varying amounts. Chevron costs more because they advertise more. :)

I get my most of my gas from Costco anyway (up here, it all comes from the same tank farm near Renton - it's the "end of the pipeline". They drive the tankers in, fill them up (out of the same tanks) and deliver it) :slobber:

As far as the Techron goes, I use only Chevron gas because I seem to get better mileage and a happier engine. Add it, but you don't need to go whole hog on the amount. Just add it more than once, then once you've cleaned out the system stay with better gas! Arco may be cheap, but the detergents they DON'T add (and that Chevron does) help you put miles on your original engine.

Engines are expensive, both in time and money. Arco - $3.14 in PHX. Chevron - $3.17. Pay the .30 extra for the tank fill and get the detergents already added! May seem wasteful to some, but will save you money down the road.

I use Chevron too. When I had Subaru in Japan, some gas brands didn't work with twin-turbo EJ20. Also, Engine Oil, I didn't feel that it had being changed till I started to change it at a dealership. I think Subaru Boxer has a unique character comparing to other type of engines ( I hear BMW and Mercedes etc also picky about oils and stuff)

I know those beads sounds fishy, but the seller in Japan guarantees 30day money back gurantee ( I spoke with the manager of this seller a few times over the phone) so, it wouldn't hurt to try.

The reason why car manufac. don't install them in the first place is cost. A good example is US spec 08 Imprezas don't have;

all power windows fully automatic up & down

No tinted glass

electric folding mirrors

JDM spec have all of them. Its just because of the cost, I believe.

KTS can you post a few more pics of your mileage on the trip computer, like maybe your next few tanks of gas and tell us the type of driving you have been doing.

Okay, I think, I should take pics before I pump the gas, then it shows actual true mileage.

Funny thing about oil is that it is produced to a spec.

The MINIMAL differences between oils are due to some obscure additives that a particular manufacturer might add to address some particular issue they may have had in qualification to that spec.

I buy oil based on the spec listed on the bottle. it's a good idea not to mix manufacturers for HI PERFORMANCE (meaning highly loaded, hi revving - like the turbo) use, but for "run of the mill" ordinary cars, just keep the weights the same (who made it doesn't matter all that much and mixing won't hurt things) - if you filled it with 5-30 then put in more 5-30 etc.

If you have a Sub with a leaky valve cover gasket, you'll be too busy adding a quart every 200 miles or so to worry about it. :) until you fix it

• 2 weeks later...
KTS can you post a few more pics of your mileage on the trip computer, like maybe your next few tanks of gas and tell us the type of driving you have been doing.

I have one updated picture showing my MPG.

Driving condition : about 60 milies / Highway daily, 60-65mph, plus 20 miles city/daily. A/C on sometimes.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=1121