Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 ej25 motor with 2.2 tensioner

Hi All;

1998 Legacy out back wagon serial #4S3BG6857W7604569

Went to replace all my idlers & tensioner and bought kit from ebay. The only problem is my tensioner looks like what's shown for the 2.2 motor in my Haynes manual. The newer style tensioner doesn't appear to even have provisions to bolt onto block.

Anyone seen this before???

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb

So what you have either has a ONE bolt attachment (normal - phase 2 tensioner - same as 2.2) or a TWO bolt attachment (Phase 1) which shouldn't have been in the 98 unless the motor was swapped.

The Phase 2 tensioner has ONE bolt to hold it in, it goes to the right of the crank pulley and takes a bit of effort to compress the hydraulic "spring" without damaging the unit

it just takes a bit of special attention.

there are ONLY 2 - and the ONE bolt unit is the later one.

This has pictures of BOTH systems

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/TBeltEWWin05.pdf

the one with the "bolted on" pulley and the ONE bolt is "phase 2" which is probably your engine. The "long shaft" with the pulley bolted to the engine is phase 1 (the earlier version) Page "8" picture is PHASE 1; page "12" picture is PHASE 2

IF it's a phase 1 unit, it will NOT fit (no way, no how) and you have to get the phase 2 tensioner (it has the pulley attached to it - for the phase 1, it's a separable unit - pulley separated from the hydraulic "spring" tensioner.) The phase 2 tensioner costs more because you can't buy the tensioner pulley separate (not yet, anyway)