Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lowering a 78 Wagon

• 2 years later...

Sorry to necro this thread up,

Im trying to lower a 79 wagon but the rear torsion bars are nothing like i have ever seen before, is it a matter or winding up/down to lower/raise, if so is there any guidelines or walkthrus to this? I have lowered several other models with torsion bars (mainly utes) but im not sure on how this setup in the rear works,

Any help would be apprecieated.

thanks

yeah all you gotta do is unbolt the 3 17mm's on the trailing arm and the 12mm that is underneath the tube near the end

then just tap the trailing arm out with a hammer

clean up the splines a bit and spray on some wd40 or anything like that to make things much easier

then just position the trailking arm at the height you would like and slide it back in

chuck the 3 17mm's back in and the 12mm at the bottom and youre done

and you have gotta do it oin both sides ;)

i have done this before on a wagon... not really the best solution:confused:

if you go as low as it looks like your front is, then you will basically be riding on the bumpstops in the rear

you can get some extra suspension travel by removiong the bumpstops (they are meant to screw out, but ive never been able to)

a setup similar to the rear of the l series would be the go, stiffen the rear up and have short stroke shocks and you should be laughing

found this in another thread, guess to keep looking to find what ya after, sorry.