Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Screeching sound when clutch engaging

2001 legacy outback with manual transmission, 2.5 engine, 130K miles. Clutch slipped at 80K miles, and had replaced. No problems (except occasional shudder) until last week. For two days, a loud screeching sound happened while I was engaging the clutch. No noise when the pedal was fully in, and no noise when it was fully out. Worse when starting up. Very little in shifting to higher gears. Happened for all gears, even reverse. Felt like it only happened when the clutch was engaged enough to touch, but was still slipping. Then it went away, with rare re-appearance. Took to the dealer, but it didn't happen for them, so they have not done anything. Will pick it up, and wait until it gets bad again.Comments?

Are you sure its the clutch and not the AC compressor?

nipper

I'm not sure of anything, just the symptoms. It happened only when I was engaging the clutch to use my manual transmission, so I would assume it had something to do with the drive train. The dealer said it may have been a loose pressure plate. If it starts up again, I will take it back so they can diagnose.