Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys. Haven't been here in a while. Love the redesign!

Anyway, the wife calls me at work yesterday. She was just getting ready to leave the neighborhood and turn on to a main road. She said the car bucked 3 times and the check engine light started flashing. She did a quick U turn and brought the car back home. she was probably about a 1/4 mile away when this happened. The car never stalled. She had just turned the A/C on. On the way back the light stopped flashing but stayed lit.

I just pulled the codes and it recorded a Misfire on cylinder 1.

However, now the car won't start. It makes a clicking noise like the battery is dead. However the battery is less than 6 months old and shows 12.4V.

I also checked the voltage at the starter and that's reading 12.6V

I did put new terminals on the battery cables when I replaced the battery. It's kind of a cob job but the car has ran fine until now.

Should I replace the battery cables? That's the only thing I can think of at this point. Car has plenty of oil and just ran strong on a 8 hour round trip to the Jersey shore.

Thanks! :)

You may have an ignition issue. Turn the key to the on position and then jump the starter. Just take a screw driver and jump the hot terminal and the spade from the ignition and the starter should kick in. I'm thinking that you either have a sudden onset ignition problem or the timing belt jumped a tooth or two. I hope it is just an ignition problem, much easier to fix.

Just had the battery tested too. It's fine.

It's got to be a battery cable. Only problem is the dealer wants over 100 bucks for both cables and they have to order it. I'd have them by Friday at the earliest. I don't see why I couldn't make my own cables from stuff they have at the parts store. Unless Subaru's are weird about resistances and things like that. I don't see why they would be though. Less resistance the better right?