Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple of quick EJ22 engine questions

moped

Contrary to appearances, I haven't died since last posting about the project, and I've even pulled the EA-81 out of my Brat. I've got a donor car pretty much lined up, but before I commit, I'm trying to find the answers to a couple of questions:

The potential donor is an 01' Impreza with an automatic transmission. My car is an '86 Brat with a manual. I've read through the guide Numbchux posted, and think I've got most of the other details lined up or at least moved to the "feasible" column of the to-do list.

Is the flywheel to engine bolt pattern the same on the EJ22 for automatic and manual transmissions? I know this sounds stupid, but I've never owned a car with an automatic, and the donor EJ car has one.

Does the EJ22 ECU rely on any signals from the transmission or transmission computer if it has one?

I realize an '01 might not be the ideal car for the swap being OBDII and all, but winter is drawing nigh in Ohio, and it's getting time to sh*t or get off the pot with this engine swap :-)

I'm going to swing by the library today and see if they have a Haynes for the donor car. If I can find out about an ECU/transmission connection from that, I'll definitely update here.

~Eric

1st off, an automatic has a flexplate, not a flywheel.

you would not be using an ej flywheel anyhow.you would need an ea82 flywheel that has been modified to fit the ej motor..

and there are plenty of other folks that have figured this out. i am sure som more searching in a day could return you some results that you are looking for.cheers, brian

Thanks, I understand that I'll be using the EA-81 flywheel, I mostly want to double check that the bolt pattern on the end of the crank is the same for an EJ for a manual as it is for an EJ automatic (i.e. is the machining going to be the same).

Now that I know that it's a flexplate rather than a flywheel, at least I know what to search for on that question. I am seriously ignorant about how automatic transmissions :-(

It looks like I'm going to have to stop at the parts store for a Haynes for the EJ. Borders didn't have one and the library was closed.

Thanks,

~Eric

yep the crank pattern is the same.as a matter of fact when you take the flexplate off , a little spacer will fall off.that spacer is agreat guide to use as a pattern to redrill the ea82 flywheel, i repeat, ea82 flywheel.

and buying a haynes is like reading a technical manual.it would most likely be easier to try an find a factory setrvice manual from someone on here or nasioc, or maybe ebay.these are much more specific and easier to read(at least to me)anyways, good luck.

cheers, brian