Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02' Legacy GT: n00b Q: replacing fuel filter

I apologize if my questions seem trivial to most people, but I've never done it before, so any helpful advice from experienced would be greatly appreciated:

1) How to relieve fuel pressure? Where is the fuel pump relay? A manual I have points somewhere under the dash on the driver side. I glanced there from underneath - there are many different relay-looking thingys - which one is the fuel pump relay look? Is it marked in any way? Is there any other way to power the pump down? Any fuses in the more accessible locations.

2) Even if I do not relieve the pressure, it will probably not spill more than can be captured by a paper towel, or an old shirt, right?

3) If the system is under pressure - does it matter which side to disconnect first? In- or out- coming?

4) I just tried to disconnect it, I have released the clamp, but the hose would not budge out of the filter. Any tricks there, how to make it slide off? Or should I just pull it stronger?

5) When putting a new filter - any trick to make the rubber hose go easier on the filter connector? Grease it?

Thanks,

-Michael

Edited by 740gle

Hey Michael,

#1: Leaving the car for a couple of hours will relieve the pressure. To be safe, you could leave it overnight. I've never bothered doing anything else.

#2: Yes, the little fuel that comes out will be captured by a paper towel or shop rag.

#3 Rather than pulling the hose off, you can try pushing the ends of the hose with the flat side of a standard screwdriver. Avoid pushing with the tip of the screwdriver as this can damage the hose. Be careful as you can also gouge yourself in the process. A little wiggling and twisting may be necessary.

#4 A little all-purpose grease will ease installation as well as future replacement. Just avoid greasing the very tip of the inlet and outlet.

Good luck with it.

The right tool for the job...

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Automotive/Vehicle_Specialty_Tools/Hose_Clamp_Pliers/KD3791.htm

Disconnect the incoming side first, and then put something in the hole to prevent the fuel in the filter from spewing all over while you disconnect the other side.

Use an oil fliter wrench to grip the old fuel filter, and wiggle it back and forth. Pulling harder will only lead to frustration.

Edited by SubPar
The the the the

Thanks for the advice, it worked out fine.

Pushed hose with the dull side of the flat screwdriver off the filter connects, took some effort and twisting, but wasn't that bad. Car was sitting for a couple of days, very little pressure, if any at all, got about a glass of very dirty gas out of the filter. Got the new one connected in in a jiffy with just a little smear of WD-40.