Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey again,

On the way down to Oregon for the holidays 2 weeks ago my 91 Legacy started to overheat once I got off the freeway and onto the city streets in Seattle.

The freeway driving had been pretty hard going, lots of snow and ice and stuck vehicles and cars doing 30 in the fast lane.

Anyway, after some trouble shooting I realized that neither of the radiator fans were working at all, they would try to spin when hotwired but were bascially toasted. Which would explain why the car overheated in stop and go traffic after being driven hard.

I replaced them both with ones from the wrecking yard, which both tested good before I put them in.

Now the passenger side fan seems to run constantly when the motor is on, but I haven't noticed the smaller drivers side fan run at all, even when the car is fully warmed up and sitting.

Does anyone know when the smaller drivers side radiator fan is supposed to kick on? Is this fan connected to using the A/C? (A/C in vehicle but it doesn't work)

I haven't had anymore overheating issues since replacing the fans, but I am curious about why the drivers side fan isn't switching on.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and I hope this isn't tooo long winded of a post.

Now bring on the snow!! (again)

The fan on the driver's side is the main fan, and should be working. On vehicles with AC, there's a sub fan short connector that is jumpered to have both fans operate together. I would say it's odd that the passenger side fan is the only one working. I'd check the main fan relay and make sure it's working and that it's getting electricity and a signal from the ECU to turn on.

Depending on what you find there, you may have a relay issue or possibly a wiring issue....assuming the motor didn't go out on you.