Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sounds like one of the speed sensors stopped working. I believe your car has two of them one to tell if there is a difference in front to rear wheel speed and one for the rest of the readings. If your car is a automatic and this sensor quits working it is quite possible your awd will not engage along with the inoperable cruise and abs. Anybody know how to test\locate this sensor?

On 05 MY on up, the cruise control will be purposely disabled whenever the CEL or ABS lamps are lit.

Check for codes with an OBDII scanner. Most likely a dirty or damage ABS sensor component at the wheel. Do you travel on gravel roads much?

It might be just a wheel sensor. if the Cruse contol is dissabled. I do drive on snow a frequently. My code reader doent show any codes though still wondering if its a power up problom to the circut.

does anyone know if the cruse and abs share a common relay. both speed sensons are on the side of tranmission.

I have a similar issue with my 05 OBW XT. Problem was identified by a local dealer when it was in for a warranty wheel bearing replacement. One of the ABS sensors has gotten chewed up a little with all the driving I'd been doing on the backroads of northern minnesota. All the gravel dust and debris gets inbetween the sensor and the tone ring I guess and causes the damage (degraded ability to read the signal from the tone ring, and dirt or debris on it's face can block the signal if the sensor is weak).

That's how I know about cruise being disabled when the ABS comes on, evidently a safty feature Subaru started to implement in 2005 models. The dealer has quoted me around $350 to replace the sensor. However, my issue is very intermittant with the ABS light coming on maybe a couple of times a year. I simply take the car into a car wash and make sure to clean the inside around the wheels really well to insure getting the area around the sensor clean. The issue has also cleared itself after driving in a heavy rain, once it's dry, the lights go out. I'm just waiting when I bring it in for its timing belt maintenance interval and will have it done then.

So try a good underbody and wheel wash, and see what happens.

Edited by PAezb