Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 sticking throttle?

After hours of researching on this forum I'm happy to say I successfully (for the most part) did the head gaskets in my Loyale. Did them in the car, so my back is aching. Thanks to all the subaru pros out there for all their postings over the years.

I fired her up last night and a strange issue popped up. The revs were normal idling first. Then when I gave her some gas the rpm's went up to about 1500 but not back down... More gas and same issue, rpm's went higher to about 2000, but didn't return to idle. I turned the ignition off and restarted but the rpm's went right to 2000 again. They keep climbing...

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!!

Go under the hood and manually move the throttle while it's running. Make sure it returns all the way 'home'. If not, find out why :)

Also make sure any electrical connectors to the engine are firmly connected. I chased down a weird problem with the idle air control valve that was caused by a barely together connector after doing HGs.

-Dave

Thank you, hopefully it's that simple!

It was too late to check the codes last night, will something like this show up?

Initially I reinstalled the distributor TDC for exhaust stroke, needless to say it didn't turn over. Could this have damaged any of the throttle assembly?

Thank you, hopefully it's that simple!

It was too late to check the codes last night, will something like this show up?

Initially I reinstalled the distributor TDC for exhaust stroke, needless to say it didn't turn over. Could this have damaged any of the throttle assembly?

Should only have hurt it if you somehow got a BIG backfire. Pretty unlikely. You did re-time the engine once you got it back together, right?

-Dave

Yes, I reset the timing. I didn't think it would do any damage, but...

I chased down a weird problem with the idle air control valve that was caused by a barely together connector after doing HGs.

The problem was the idle air control, as you had mentioned.

When I did the head gaskets I flipped the intake mani back over the tire storage. I guess over a couple of days of being upside down and open, any condensed moisture dried and the sediment gummed up the mechanism. A squirt of carb cleaner and 15 minutes later it cleared up and the car ran good...

Thanks again for the help!