Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1997 2.2 Sub. I'm getting a lot to noise from the motor which may be piston slap or valve misadjustment. Yes it does diminish when the motor is hot but I still am not sure what is causing it. My question:

If I take off the valve cover, will I find that the valve adjustment can be done with a wrench and screw driver or does the 97 have solid adjusters that require shims.

I'm familiar with the 95's which have hydraulic valve adjusters, which work very well, but Subaru changed after 95.

I have a 1997 2.2 Sub. I'm getting a lot to noise from the motor which may be piston slap or valve misadjustment. Yes it does diminish when the motor is hot but I still am not sure what is causing it. My question:

If I take off the valve cover, will I find that the valve adjustment can be done with a wrench and screw driver or does the 97 have solid adjusters that require shims.

I'm familiar with the 95's which have hydraulic valve adjusters, which work very well, but Subaru changed after 95.

97 2.2 does not require shims to adjust, only tools.