Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, first, car: 1999 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2L EJ223 Last response I was so frazzled I forgot to list the car...

Anyway, OK so I had a timing belt break after an Idler Pulley bearing locked up. Lose of compression in cylinder 2 so a few valves got bent but other than that I didn't lose an engine. I got the heads rebuilt at a reputable machine shop. I completed assembly of the engine and checked my valve clearance, 3 times. Intake 0.20 Exhaust 0.25 mm that is…

So I finished up, I went to start it up and FIRST time it turned right over, smooth, clean, quiet, and no smoke what so ever. Which of the half dozen or so heads I’ve done (VW, Datsun, Lincoln) I always had some smoke at first. After it ran for a minute or two there was the start of the tick, tick, tick.

Is it common on Subaru’s to have to readjust the valves? Just settling? Like I said I checked the valves 3 times before dropping the engine back in, figuring what a pain to get to the valves. The car runs strong, no smoke, great responsiveness. I figure on running it a couple days and readjusting the valves. Is there anything I might be missing?

BTW thanX everyone for the responses, great forum

There are always machining marks and other surface texture that is polished out by running. When new, I reset mine after 1000 miles and didn't need adjustment again until 60k. After 60k the clearances were closer than they were at 1000! They didn't really have to be adjusted either time (still within the spec wear range) but I don't like to hear the ticking sound when they're not just right.