Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front wheel negative camber

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm looking for some specific advice.

Recently I disassembled the front suspension replaced the struts and strut mounts on my '84 Brat. The new struts are the FWD variety, without the height adjustment, and the new strut mounts are unlike the originals, they are asymmetrical. There were no instructions to turn them according to the vehicle, and it looked like the adjustment built in the mounts was for caster anyway. I found both these parts hard to find in the original configuration. Anyway I wanted to lift the front (front only) about 2", so I installed a 5/8" spacer above and below the stock springs. I got my 2" but after assembly, you guessed it, negative camber. (top of the wheel leaning out) I haven't measured it, but it is significant, and easily see standing in front of the Brat.

I inspected the strut mount, and it can only be moved in about 1/4" by relocating the studs that hold it in place, I don't think that's enough. I like the lift the spacers provided, how can I keep it and get these wheels vertical again? I would rather not relocate the lower control arm mounting point from it's original location, or install a 2" lift kit in the front only. Is there a longer lower control arm I could install?

The tires are cheap and 1/2 worn out, so I can live with it for a while, but I would like to have all the tread on the ground so stopping and starting don't produce so much wheel spin and lock up.