Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Engine Swap questions 2.5 EJ DOHC AT to a 2.2 EJ SOHC

4ahickey

Help,,,

I'm thinking of replacing my engine in my 1998 outback AT 2.5 DOHC with an engine 2.2 EJ from a 1999 impreza Manual transmission.

This is my first Subaru, GREAT CAR, a crapp engine- Piston swap and a noisy rod bearing. Despite the fact I did a full rebuilt 10 km ago. The thought of opening that engine case again almost makes me ill.

I have already bought the 2.2 EJ engine and exhaust system. low miles and excellent leak down. It was a great deal.

Will the intake manifold from the 2.5 EJ DOHC AT fit on the 2.2 EJ SOHC MT?

The gaskets look different. Will an adapter plate work?

Will 2.5 EJ DOHC heads go on the 2.2 EJ block? what would the CR be? Can I use 2.5 head gaskets? I have an extra pair...

Do I need to change the ECM?

What about the Power Steering lines?

the Y pipe I'm okay with..

please help...

Help: Engine Swap questions 2.5 EJ DOHC AT to a 2.2 EJ SOHC MT

Edited by 4ahickey

Hi All,

I apologize if I offended any one. I made several postings only because being new to this forum I could not see where each posting was registering / coming up.

I know I have a lot of questions; only because I don’t want to get half way into the job to find out it is not doable.

I would be grateful if anyone can lend insight from their experience on any of these questions.

As for PMs I selected several individuals, who seemed to have knowledge in this area. As a new member I was not aware it is poor manners to do so.

Again, I hope I have not offended anyone…

you haven't offended anyone, just learn how to use the board and value other folks using and helping here. it's really easy to use the board, so just take a few seconds to click around and figure out where stuff is, there's even a 'site suggestions' or 'site help' forum you can ask if you're confused about something.

the thing is - it actually gets way confusing if you have multiple lines of communication open and we have to repeat things in multiple places or folks are sayihng the same/different things but don't know it because you've started 4 threads and PM'ed 10 people. so actually - one venue is far more efficient.

what you can do is start a new thread. then say "hey i like what so-and-so" has to say or offer, i will PM them a link to the thread i started. that's a good way to do it.

Edited by grossgary