Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing a rebuild - What would you do if you were spending 5K?

I'm looking at doing a rebuild on the motor in my '94 JDM Legacy GT Wagon (EJ20H) and I've been quoted roughly $5K to do the job including pulling and reinstalling the engine. The motor starts knocking badly once I hit 2000 RPM, so I'm thinking it spun a bearing, but until we get in there there's no real way to tell. I've crawled all over the engine top and bottom trying to nail down where the sound is coming from, but there is no real way to tell even with a stethoscope. I was originally going to pull the motor and tear it down myself, but I only have experience with EJ22 engines and this twin turbo setup could be a real monster. Even changing spark plugs is a PITA, you have to remove pipes and wires just to get at them. :-\

I'm looking for other options to spend my $5K on while the motor is out and perhaps increase the HP numbers and still have a reliable vehicle. Any options other than just a rebuild (different engine, switching to single turbo, etc.) will have to include rewiring, which could be a nightmare. I considered purchasing another EJ20H and dropping it in, but then I have no idea what kind of shape the inside of the motor is in and I'm back to square one.

The work will all be done at a performance shop which has extensive experience with Subaru engines.

Thoughts? Options?

Edited by Kilroy

Personally, I'd drop to a single, larger turbo just to save on some of the plumbing. Aside from that....all the usual stuff. Forged internals, perhaps a more aggressive cam grind, better engine management.

From reading info on this and other Soob boards, the single turbo is the way to go. I'm just concerned about what is required as far as the wiring goes. :confused:

I've been trying to find an aftermarket ECU (current ECU is VERY limiting) and I read that this motor already has forged pistons (THAT really surprised me).

from what i've heard the ej20h isn't a very solid engine. everybody seems to spin bearings with them.

i would recommend finding an ej20g motor and swapping it in. you should be able to just swap the long block or even short block if you wanted to take the extra time to do so.

these engine can be found EASILY for under 1g CND if you get it without the wiring and all that jazz. then it's up to you to figure out if you want to change the turbo and such.

i have a friend in Edmonton that is a JDM importer. he could probably hook you up with something.

from what i've heard the ej20h isn't a very solid engine. everybody seems to spin bearings with them.

i would recommend finding an ej20g motor and swapping it in. you should be able to just swap the long block or even short block if you wanted to take the extra time to do so.

these engine can be found EASILY for under 1g CND if you get it without the wiring and all that jazz. then it's up to you to figure out if you want to change the turbo and such.

i have a friend in Edmonton that is a JDM importer. he could probably hook you up with something.

Who's your friend in Edmonton? I used William at JDM Connection to handle importing my vehicle.

I've read that the EJ20H (and EJ20R) are quite reliable engines as long as you keep the oil topped up (and changed regularily) and don't over-detonate. I would think that a rebuild with all new forged internals and cleaned passageways should take care of any reliability issues, no?

From reading info on this and other Soob boards, the single turbo is the way to go. I'm just concerned about what is required as far as the wiring goes. :confused:

I've been trying to find an aftermarket ECU (current ECU is VERY limiting) and I read that this motor already has forged pistons (THAT really surprised me).

Frankly, I think single turbo is the way to go for any street engine, Subaru or otherwise.

I highly recommend the Megasquirt. And since you're running a turbo, Megaboost and Megaspark are good ideas as well.

I made this short video yesterday to send to people who have been asking me exactly what/where the noise was and things went from bad to worse. You'll notice it idles nicely at the beginning, but at the end it's a constant knocking now.

:(:banghead: