Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone near Waco Tx willing to help...

I have located a 5 speed trans for my 73' coupe at B&B auto wreckers in Waco, and would apperciate it if there are any members in that area that could 1) Check it out and confirm it's indeed a five speed and 2) Help with shipping via Greyhound if it looks good. I would really like to upgrade to a 5 speed, but the truck freight cost kills the deal. I think Greyhound is around $100 at the most, hopefully less. If you are willing to assist, please email me at m nakashima at charter dot net (no spaces) to discuss.

Thanks, Mark

If your deal down there doesnt work out, I have a 5 speed 2wd tranny, its still in the car, and it shifted perfectly when i drove it. Its got the starter on top like you will need for your coupe, its in a 1980 2wd Wagon with a 1600.

I don't see me using it for anything anytime soon, Im more of a 4wd/awd/rwd guy myself... I'd let it go pretty cheap ;)

-Bill

Ok, I am interested as I would rather keep my money "in the family", as it is, but hopefully you or someone else can confirm some questions I have. My plan of attack with this car is to run the original 1400 engine for a while longer until I get around to building up a 1600 (maybe a year, maybe longer). That said, I need to replace the clutch that's in the car now due to slippage. I figure since I have to replace the clutch, I may as well upgrade the trans, but it still needs to work with the 1400 engine for now AND the 1600 for later, ideally. I do not know what bellhousings match with what engines/trans/flywheel/clutch. I think the 1600 uses a larger flywheel/clutch than the 1400, so does that mean the trans bellhousing is larger than the 1400 one? Does the 1600 input shaft have a different size/spline than the 1400 requiring a frankenstein clutch? Sorry for all the questions. Read this to see why I've got so many questions!

http://www.1stgencivic.org/world/c1zr/m1/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8341&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Mark

I do know that the 1600 uses a different clutch/pressureplate than the 1400, but according to Kostamojen, looks like the flywheels can be swapped on the 1400/1600, and the bellhousing on the 1400 should bolt to the 1600 trans. Check out his FF-1 thread, he was discussing this just a few days ago :banana:

-Bill

PS Ive sold him a FWD trans too :grin: