Ultimate Subaru Message Board

manifold gaskets...advice...

Today is the intake manifold gaskets day.:) It looks pretty straight forward. BUT, are there any hidden tricks of the trade or does anybody have a little advice on how to make this go smoothly? I guess what I am looking for is advice on how to handle the throttle body. I didn't buy a TB gasket, nor do I have the few bucks that it costs, so I am hoping to replace the IMG's without altering the TB gasket. Is this a frequent practice? Anyone got any comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Also today I am replacing the valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket. I am hoping to stop the oil drips. I have to add close to a quart every ten days or so.

Edited by Loyale93v

Be careful when you break lose the six manifold bolds. Don't be careless with any of them.

Use a breaker bar with a six inch extension. A six sided socket in good shape works best. Square your body with the front of the vehicle,lean directly over the bolt and apply steady pressure. Keep the extension/socket directly in line with the bolt and even after it breaks free,go slow taking them out the rest of the way.

Wire wheel them clean before you re-install.

If you twist one off,you'll be :eek: then:mad: then:(

Drain some coolant out first, so when you pull the intake, Coolant won't pour dwon into the intake and flood whichever one has an open valve.(can you say HYDROLOCK?)

Hydrolock!?!? bad...very bad... so how much do you think I should drain off? A couple QTs ? Shouldn't need to drain off more than that right? that is good thinking though! THANKS.