Ultimate Subaru Message Board

older noob w/a crazy plan

Checking in from 20min. E of San Antonio, TX...

I've got an 1100lb. kit car that NEEDS Subaru power (currently a VW)

Already picked up a 90' Legacy "donor" EJ22EA, and will wear OUT ya'lls search button I'm sure!

Comments/Suggestions are welcome! (and encouraged?)

quite a site you've got here, btw.

1623820.jpg

1623812.jpg

Since you have the EJ, sounds like you are set! I know there are adapters out there to adapt Ej motors to all kinds of VW trannys, so that part shouldnt be hard either. If the car is carbed now, you can also go carbed with the EJ for the sake of wiring simplicity and coolness when you open the hood. Or if you feel adventurous, you can swap the whole MPFI from the Legacy into the car as well. You will hear lots of pros/cons and plenty of arguing over carb vs. MPFI so its ultimately a matter of preference.

Sweet lookin ride, might talk to Mountain Brat here on the board, he and a few other guys have done EJ conversions into previously VW powered rigs. :banana:

-Bill

thanx for the welcome (and suggestions)

I'm a fan of carbs as well, but for further plans (future upping of injectors + turbo) I'll have to wade through that factory "harness" and keep the MPFI

I'm going to have to figure out where to post my "build thread" as I go along, I'll document in case any other "fool" out there attempts a similar course...

I plan on just installing a "freshened" stock motor for now, so I can iron out the details and get this thing streetable. Once that's done and the pocketbook recovers, I'll boost it. :headbang:

It weighed in at a "portly" 1140lbs. without fuel (or me) with the VW motor.

Keep in mind the stock EJ22 is @ 140hp, now add on a turbo.......... I *might* be able to keep up with most of ya'll. LOL

I'm going to conservatively "shoot" for around 250hp. Keep in mind that'll probably happen in 2010 (if ever)