Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent tweeter on passenger door

The optional tweeter that I had the dealer install when I got the car, works intermittently on the passenger door. When it does work, man, does it sound good. When it doesn't, it really kills the audio experience. Any suggestions, and no, the dealer does not do any troubleshooting on the stereo stuff, I've asked. Besides, I need my arms and legs to pay for more serious stuff. :rolleyes:

PS - the driver's side is working fine, never a problem.

I had a similar problem with a door speaker. We found it by banging on the door panel open handed.

Turned out to be a loose negative wire on the speaker terminal.

Also check to see if the speaker frame is firmly attached-grounded to the metal door panel

As a preventative measure we hot glued the wires to the door a few inches from the speaker to keep them from flopping around.

The optional tweeter that I had the dealer install when I got the car, works intermittently on the passenger door. When it does work, man, does it sound good. When it doesn't, it really kills the audio experience. Any suggestions, and no, the dealer does not do any troubleshooting on the stereo stuff, I've asked. Besides, I need my arms and legs to pay for more serious stuff. :rolleyes:

PS - the driver's side is working fine, never a problem.

My problem is the reverse. The driver's side went out. Like you when I hit the door, it would come back in. I finally removed it. I found a place that said they could repair the tweeter but I haven't gotten around to taking some pictures of the tweeter to send them; they want pictures with a ruler. If you want information on the place PM me and I'll give you the e-mail, etc.

~Howard

:banana:

My problem is the reverse. The driver's side went out. Like you when I hit the door, it would come back in. I finally removed it. I found a place that said they could repair the tweeter but I haven't gotten around to taking some pictures of the tweeter to send them; they want pictures with a ruler. If you want information on the place PM me and I'll give you the e-mail, etc.

~Howard

I was just looking at the tweeter (its in the corner, right by the side view mirror. How do you get to that speaker? There are no bolts or screws, and the speaker grill does not appear flexible. I mean, I could really apply force to it, but I'd rather not break it.

I was just looking at the tweeter (its in the corner, right by the side view mirror. How do you get to that speaker? There are no bolts or screws, and the speaker grill does not appear flexible. I mean, I could really apply force to it, but I'd rather not break it.

This is on my 2000 Forester.

If you look closely at the tweeter, there is ONE and only ONE spot to pry the cover off. It's a indentation. You have to cover a screwdriver blade with masking or electrical tape and gently pry off the cover.

Once the cover is off there are two screws holding the tweeter in place. Remove the screws and you will then see the connector for the wires.

~Howard