Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First gen legacy with frankenmotor: 2.5 with 2.2 heads... Has this loud noise, pretty sure its just lifter tick... But wanna check... The owner says it sounds more top-end noise but the engine was rebuilt.

Do the EJ22s need dime spacers under the lifters for the DELTA CAM torque cams? Could that be the source of this noise?

https://www.facebook.com/blood.n.rugby#!/photo.php?v=392590934120113

Please let me know if it doesnt load, I shared it off a private group posting... facebook is stupid screwy lately :horse:

VIDEO FIXED AS OF 632PM

Edited by 92_rugby_subie

I couldn't get the sound to work? Might be my dieing computer screwing up.

Anyway. What year heads? If hydraulic lifters, Yes you need shims under the lifters when running reground cams.

Is this a fresh install? As in, built put in and hasn't been driven yet? Or did this just start after driving for several minutes/hours/days/months?

Fresh install.

The 2.2 heads have HLAs in them and it was just started today, as its running off a battery charger, the alternator isnt hooked up yet :P

Should he just run it? Several people are saying rod knock or bottom end noise, but I feel like its just really loud lifters, previous engine that the lifters were in, the drainplug came out and was run dry til it seized.

If you do have the shims installed in the rocker arms to shim out the lifters, just let it run and it will go away. If you do not have the shims, don;t run it anymore until you put those in because the lifters can't take up the lash without them. Even with the shims the lifters still may not take up all of the lash and may still tick, but it will be much quieter than it is right now.

These lifters are LOUD when they're bled out, and can take 30 - 45 minutes of running to get them pumped up.

Just watched the video again on my IPhone (with sound).

Way too frequent to be rod knock unless all 4 of them are knocking. Certainly sounds like lifters to me.

Any luck getting it to quiet down yet or do you have to wait for shims to arrive?