Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Leak

Noticed today my Brat was leaking, propped it up and the leak was coming from the oil pump right where it seals to the block. Oil pressure on my Brat has always been pegged at 75+ psi and I check the oil level often just to make sure I am not running low on oil.

This ever a common leak? What would be reasons for the oil pressure reading 75+ psi.. the sending unit looks like it was replaced my the previous owner.

Yes that is a common leak.The oil presure sending unit and guage are known to always be off somewhat ,one way or the other.The best way to check your oil pressure is to install a manual oil pressure guage.That involves a small tube from the oil pump to the manual oil pressure guage you install on the dash somewhere. Now to that leak. It is pretty easy and cheap to "reseal"the oil pump.You can get the kit from the dealer or mabey one of the regular auto parts store. I have found the only hard part of doing a reseal is getting the pump out of the block.There is 4or 5 -10 mm bolts that hold it in place.After you pull all of them,look close,there could be one hidden under some grease.grab the oil filter and work it up n down while gently pulling it out.Hopefully it will work itself loose and you can get it out.BUT>>> i have had them stuck so tight I had to "Worry" it out,as I call it.That involved rocking it up n down while spraying PB Blaster or whatever and gently prying the fillter away from the block,GENTLY !!..I know some will flip at using the term "prying"but thats the only way i have done it.Never pry between the pump and the block cause that is where things can get ugly !! As i remember it seems that they come out easer when the engine is still warm...Look around and I'm sure there will be some wright up's w/ pictures about this procedure..Just take your time and you can stumble through it...When you do open the pump up ,I bet the gasskets and o rings will crumble in your hand,Thus causing the leak..have fun and again take your time.C ya,Todd the OSF

Edited by old sub freak
old