Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission too hot?

this is about my 87 gl10 again, we fixed the air shocks! put in regular ones they work great!

BUT heres something else now...my transmission light comes on every so often,(its an automatic) indicating the tranny is hot? generally it happnes if I drive on the highway with the rpms over 4, or up a steep long hill. it seems fine if I keep it below that. we had the transmission flushed and all that but still it keeps doing it. doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the transmission, and the mechanics I asked arent at all helpful!

should I be worried? Is there any one who has had this happen? any suggestions would be welcome!

(as with all our problems with the car this didnt happen until the engine seriously overheated and had to replaced...)

Mine gets hot, but there isnt a warning light considering its age (82). Mine also gets hottest at stoplights.

However, the problem is similar, change to a external tranny cooler, which is what im doing.

Alex

PS, mine is over 4 on the freeway too if im going faster than 68 mph.

yes it was replaced, it was overheatring badly and we discovered it had pretty well been melted.

an external cooler? whats that? and yeah it keeps your speed downto try to keep the car under 4 lol.

the owners manual says you dont need to stop the car just avoid hilly driving, doesnt really say how seriously you should take that kinda warning when your highway driving..

An external cooler is a mini radiator made for the auto trans cars (other applications as well). It has brackets that attach it to the front of your radiator and you move your tranny cooler lines to it from the radiator. The line for the tranny fluid through the radiator is pretty meek, and doesnt do much. The cooler will keep it much cooler. I think most parts stores will have them for about 30 bucks. I know Napa definately does.

Alex