Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Gang

Hi everyone ,

Name here is Bob and I'm located in northern Arizona . I just aquired an old '82 Subie Brat that has been through the wringer , but still runs after all the 285,000 mile abuse it has taken .... its beat but still good raw material to work with . Lots of usual dings and electrical problems but on the plus side no rust as its been out west all its life and pretty much all complete . The old thing had been sitting for several years , I put in a battery and with a bit of coaxing it started right up ... and drives . The transfer case etc. all works and the driveline seems to be pretty decent shape . The motor is running on 3 legs however , and havnt had time to check it yet . But no smoke and the plugs are burning clean . It'll be a fun project for me . Price was right too .... free .... just a little work barter but no money changed hands .

Been a mechanic all my life ( but not Subaru ) so it wont be much of a challenge for me from the looks of it , but I'm going to be asking a lot of questions because I dont have a workshop manual and I especially need an electrical diagram .

Anyway so far I'm impressed with Subaru's offering , its too bad they dont make this model anymore ... I'd be tempted to buy a new one and I've only had this little guy for a couple of days now . VERY practical machine .

OK , thats my story ... hope to make some friends here on the forum .

Bob (clunkerbob)

Thanks Olnick and Murph,

yes it is my first Subaru . I have always heard good things about Subaru reliability over the years . Almost bought one a few years ago but my wife ( ex now ) didnt like the looks of it so I passed . Personally I thought they were a good looking car especially the late ones like the Outback and such.

Anyway I got this Brat via a Storage Place that wound up with it payment for unpaid storage on a unit . I'm doing a little horse trading work wise for this truck . Picked it up a couple days ago .

I'm finding right away that parts are easy to get and very reasonable too ( or so it seems ) . It looks like used body parts from a Legacy fits the Brat even interior pieces .. am I correct in thinking that ? Eccept for that rear sheet metal section .. best not bang that in LOL .

And yes .... the way its put together is very logical and easy to get at . I think I'm going to like the Subaru line .

Incidently I worked Jaguars and Land Rovers for almost 30 years .... now talk about engineering and easy access ( kidding of course ! )

Bob